Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trailered to Hatteras this morning. Crew was Russel, Billy, Dwight, Tony and myself. Went hoping to find Blackfins on the O70 Rockpile. Go three nibbles on the first three lines in the water. Sure we had hit the JACKPOT, but after difficult fights on spinning tackle, 3 AJs were boat. We continue to catch AJs for two hours, moving here and there to try a catch Blackfins. No luck. The AJs even ate our squid on the bottom. Two at a time AJs was more than my crew could handle. Ocean was foggy in the Stream and choppy. Went inshore for seabass, but no luck. Lot of cranking, but nothing to put on the plate. Craige (Mary E)

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water temperature over the Rock Pile was 75 degrees. Just outside the inlet it was 52. Trawlers limited on Large stripers off Rodanthe. We were the only boat that fished Hatteras Tuesday. Did see several large ferrys! Craige

· Registered
198 Posts
Craige-I remember seeing the Mary E as a 20' Wellcraft out on the point and elsewhere offshore here as far back as '95-'96.You guys were there in January when I was fishing on a green-stick boat,and you were there when I was working larger boats/yachts,and I think I've seen that boat in the past 8-9 years while fishing from my 23 footer.Is the Mary E still that same Wellcraft or has she been up sized to another hull?I was always impressed with ya'lls 'balls out' approach to the grounds(HUGE swells,LITTLE boat).Chris(HornDog)

· Registered
180 Posts
Sorry about results......thanks for the invite though......figured ya'll would slay them since I couldn't go!!....In a roundabout way I was trying to help you be sucessful......
Duane
Ms Ginny
20' c-c Grady White

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well craft is gone. Was going to fish yesterday in a 21 CC, but decide to upsize the crew from 3 to 5 and take my boat (26' Albermarle CC powered by 315 Yanmar). We would have taken a beating in the 21 CC, plus it had no curtains (which my Albermarle has). I've been fishing offshore in little boat since the late 70s. I am much better at judging the weather now. My 62 year old body just can't quite take the pounding I use to. We fished along yesterday as normal during the winter months (not counting the inshore boys). Still carry much of the same safety equipment I used when commercial tuna fishing. Craige

· Registered
1,164 Posts
Craig,
You cant let the jigs hit the bottom, you will not get it away from the AJ's fast enough. The tuna marks will be higher in the water column. Did you see any sharks yesterday? Any false albacore? If you can get some Jacks about 30" long cook them just like you would a dolphin. My Dad puts AJ in the upper 5 of fish that he likes to eat.

Capt_Ben
Above Average Sportfishing

· Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No Albies,but one dogfish inshore on the bottom. AJs go our stuff before it could get near the bottom. Next time I will fish a little north and try a slightly different technique. Will let you know if it works. Fishing offshore Friday out of Rudee if the weather holds. Craige

· Registered
667 Posts
AJ is awesome - just cut off the tail section that usually has large white worms and it eats just like any other white meat fish. Florida restaurants feature AJ all over the state and many FL anglers try to get an AJ or 2 each trip to split up since they are usually an easy catch to get out of the way early in the day on their way to the grouper/snapper grounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.