Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we had the classic "rubber hook" day. We ran out to the 230 rocks where a few boats were setting out when we got there. I ran just north and outside of them and set down right on the bluefin. Got a few marks twice then got ontop of a large school busting the top and hooked one on the green machine way back. He almost spooled a tiagra 50w at full drag. Remembering the green machine was rigged with two hooks we already had him on the grill if he was the right size. Fought him for 10-15 minuites and some how pulled the hooks. Put the spread back out and went back to trollin. Not another 10 minuites and we are back on em again. Long rigger goes off and almost get spolled again. This one is staying tight and 30-45 minuites into it we have him 25ft. from the boat on top giving up. He decides to take another run and pulls the hook again. Find em one more time and try dropping jigs after they dont take a trolled rig. No luck jigging. After all that everyone starts spreading out and I decided to head north. We pickup one large bonita and a few miles north we see a few boats jigging. We get within a half mile from em and a line goes down and figure its another bonita but get him to the boat and its a nice size blackfin. Troll a few more minuites and get over a huge school of em from 50-150ft on the machine. Stop and start jigging and once again the rubber hooks start letting us down. We hooked 5or6 and never got one in the boat. Should have chuncked the bonita in the box but nobody thought of that until after the fact. Went back to trolling and not another sniff. Beautiful day on the water out of Hatteras and atleast we got to hear some drags scream!
0 for 2 bluefin
1 for 7 blackfin
think the mate might need to sharpen his hooks! LOL

·
Registered
728 Posts
damn chris, your number is up one day soon...

Cant catch a break, I feel for you. Oh well I cant catch a break from work, dont know what is worse...

BTW, what size hooks were you using? maybe too small.

Better luck next time.
Taylor

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I was thinking exactly what Taylor said

also I would put a single sized 9 on the green machine

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hooks are plenty big, pretty sure they are all 9s or 8s and they were plenty sharp too. All trolling leaders are 130 fluro. Been in this game doin it myself in my seacraft for 14yrs now. Not a rookie. Since we put a trailer hook on the green machine last year we have had alot less short bites or pull offs on it. All the blackfin except for the one brought in trolling were lost on brand new williamson jigs. I just think none of the fish were hungry and were just rollin on the baits and not eating good. Along with the school of blackfin we were jigging over. Everyone else was having a hard time with em too. We are gonna go try for some redemption this sunday if the weather holds. Good luck to everyone who goes!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts