Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an effective method for transporting shad I catch from the bridge (or bank depending on where I catch it) back to my 30 gallon tank on my truck which I then transfer to my Grayline on my boat...I have a John Deere wagon that I can wheel from the catwalk from the truck but lifting a 30 gallon tank from that to the truck is a little tough and often a wet experience!
I store my boat in a rental shed so the goal is to catch the bait at Nutbush or Falls and then put the bait in the boat after I launch.
I see Bobcat's has a 14 gallon tank that I'm sure I could easily handle but do you folks think it has enough volume to handle 30 to 50 4-5" shad or herring for 30 minutes to an hour. I could keep it well aerated and salted. They are oval shaped and fairly low profile so the footprint is large for the capacity.
For that matter if I aerated a 108 quart cooler, would that work?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Back when me, Crawdad and friends used to do that we used a wagon and 5 gal buckets. While one was throwing the net the other would transport the bait to the boat. Of coarse if you're alone it wouldn't be quite as easy, but it worked for us.

·
Registered
126 Posts
When you get back to the truck using the cart, dip your shad out with a net, and then dump your water. If your worried about them dying, put a battery operated aerator on your haul tank. They should be good for a while. If you get a good load, wheel them back to the truck and dip them out with your dip net. This is what we usually do, but we use 5 gal. buckets, and keep it moving....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate that

Thanks, budman and vikingbud. I have a couple of those lids that fit a 5 gallon bucket with the aerator built in that I could use. I also have one of those open top washtub looking things with the rope handles that will fit into the wagon and probaly hold around 12 gallons. I can lift this without giving myself a hernia and like you suggested I can dip out the fish and pour the water out as I usually treat my home water for the tank.

Does anybody use the Tranquil stuff? Supposedly it calms the bait down to make it easier to transport.

Right now I'm pretty sure we can get quite a bit of bait around Clarksville but when all else fails, Nutbush seems to be the go to spot.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi All,

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but there's so much information in each repy in the thread that I just gotta ask some questions.

First, I'm very new to fishing of any consequence even though I'm almost the exact age of McCain. Possibly with a shorter longevity expectation due to health complications. Heart surgery, sepsis, diabetes, polyps, etc. The body can't hardly do once what it used to do frequently. So, I'm engaged in a necessary fast learn situation with regard to boating, fishing, cast net, and all the associated stuff that typically takes 40 years to accomplish.

The handle Joy T Brew comes from years of home brewing (stopped long ago) and more recently Cowboy Action Shooting (I still engage in this hobby). I retired from USDA in Washington, DC in 1996. I'm a chemist and finished my career with the FSIS International Programs where I did international travel and audited laboratories in countries that test meat/poulty to be exported to the United States. I'd purchased a home in Scottsburg, VA several years before retirement and relocated after the big event.

Recently, my Dad, Mom, son, and Mrs passed in succession and fishing seems like an exciting new bell to answer.

My boat circa 1995, old, but new to me, has a live well in the floor ahead of the transom. I don't have clue how to use it and will need a very long handle dip net. Kneeling doesn't work that well anymore. If ya see a real klutz with a cowboy hat trying to launch at Occoneechee near the park office, give a hollar/suggestions/advice/help . . . :)

Seems like I see a special live bait apparatus on some boats that seems like an oval tub with a lid about 2 feet tall. Pretty big? Is this what is called a Grayline? Is a live well built in the boat OK? Is a cast net used from the deck of a boat? Seems it would be easy to find the bait, but very difficult to cast the net. At least for me as I've seldom ever got a good cast even on the grass.

Is the objective to use the cast net from the bank or dock, transport the bait to the tow vehicle, then to the boat for the fishing? How long do the fish survive? Maybe a few hours or overnight.

I have a session with Ramrod on Thursday to as an initial introduction to actual fishing Kerr and Stripers. He may answer a zillion questions that plague me now.

Hopefully this and other BISC threads will continue so I can learn lots of necessary stuff. Everything written about seems to be of critical importance.

Thanks for sharing experiences and knowledge . . .

Joy T Brew

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hauling shad

Mr. Hansen,
I think Ramrod will answer your most pertinent questions but I'll answer the ones relating to my situation.
Grayline is a brand name of a bait tank that matches the description you posted. With some effort you can keep shad or other delicate baits alive for several days.
Most folks castnet out of their boats and put the bait directly into these devices. As I store my 30 year old Dixie away from home, it is easier for me to get bait, carry it to the boat and then go where I hope the fish are. I pass a very productive site on my way to the lake, so it is convienient to do it this way. My gas savings in storing the boat versus towing it every trip afford me the ability to fish occasionally.
My transport tank is adequate for holding fish for a couple of hours if needed but I can usually make it from bait stop to water in about 45 minutes.
I just needed a better idea of getting them from the water to the transport tank.
As for your baitwell, I have a couple of friends who use a "Creek Bait Spa" which fits inside built in baitwells and filters and aerates. They have both been very pleased with the performance. Google "Core Fsihing Tackle" or "Shad Taxi" for info.
Good luck on your trip with Ramrod! Once you get setup on your own if you need someone to do the castnetting or dipping the bait I'm sure one of the BISC members would be happy to assist....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts