Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two daughters wanted to go crabbing this weekend. As this is a fun trip we crabbed less than a half day. We normally do not crab this early and after the last couple of years, I did not know what to expect. After talking to Bayhead I made the drive down the Eastern Shore south of Cambridge. We were working a trot line mixed with 1/2 Razor Clams and 1/2 Chicken Necks. I put the line down in 6-7 foot of water and was amazed after the first run. The girls could not keep up with the trot line and we still ended up with close to a 1/3 bushel in the basket on the first run alone, although most of the crabs went back as they were shorts or females. The shorts were just short of the minimum and we found very few light crabs. Things slowed down after the first run somewhat, but all runs were better than I have seen in years. Early on there was no difference between the necks and the clams, but as the morning went on it was clear that they preferred the clams. We threw back 2/3 of what the girls were able to dip. They also missed many and an equal number dropped off as the water clarity was marginal. I did not see a ray all day and the only other crabbers I saw were two commercial crabbers trot lining. I hope this is a sign that the last couple of hard crabbing years are behind us. Bill

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Nice job, I was going to go but I helped my Son move into his first Home :) Crabs will be there next week... Glad you got em... CMJL

·
Registered
14,402 Posts
My two daughters wanted to go crabbing this weekend. As this is a fun trip we crabbed less than a half day. We normally do not crab this early and after the last couple of years, I did not know what to expect. After talking to Bayhead I made the drive down the Eastern Shore south of Cambridge. We were working a trot line mixed with 1/2 Razor Clams and 1/2 Chicken Necks. I put the line down in 6-7 foot of water and was amazed after the first run. The girls could not keep up with the trot line and we still ended up with close to a 1/3 bushel in the basket on the first run alone, although most of the crabs went back as they were shorts or females. The shorts were just short of the minimum and we found very few light crabs. Things slowed down after the first run somewhat, but all runs were better than I have seen in years. Early on there was no difference between the necks and the clams, but as the morning went on it was clear that they preferred the clams. We threw back 2/3 of what the girls were able to dip. They also missed many and an equal number dropped off as the water clarity was marginal. I did not see a ray all day and the only other crabbers I saw were two commercial crabbers trot lining. I hope this is a sign that the last couple of hard crabbing years are behind us. Bill
Nice day crabbing with family. Crabs are a bonus. Glad you got them and the reports are true about the lower eastern shore waters........ .Gary

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Bill - I guess persistence pays off! Glad it worked out for you and the girls.

I'm with you in hoping this will be a much better year than in years past. Hope they steamed up well! Keep in touch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crabs were exceptionally good and heavy. We dipped a couple little ones that were white, but clearly most were heavy and black. As stated earlier most fell 1/4 inch short and should be good after the next shed. DNR did check me with a license check and quick check of the crabs while I was out on the water. Glad to see those guys out there! Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts