Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize their is already a post on this subject, but was afraid guys would not read it more than once.

i contacted the uscg yesterday, and just got an email back, my reaction is they might do something, not sure what. i just responded back.

they asked for gps coordinates, which i did not have because i was more concerned about damage to my boat at the time. i did provide a "vicinity" location based on numbers i took off a chart.

i did offer to ride over with them, i know i can find them.

my question to you guys are:

1. anybody got good numbers/marks from your gps?

2. i have identified 2 sets of rogue piles, has anybody see more? if so, where?

thanks

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
John on the east side of the island after the second marker there was a rock that a heron was standing on in about 8' of water about 30 - 50' away from the riprap. At low tide you could actually see the rock. It was around the corner as you start to head toward Jefferson Island.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the rocks were put their as fish habatit in 1999 or so. please be advised that their are also rock piles on the N/NW corner of the island. just talked to army corp. they said several signs have been destroyed by storms. i asked for specific #'s from the contractor who dumped the rocks.........army corp said ok "capt. i will check on it".
i will keep you guys advised.

well......... it was a fishin' hole of mine, but public safety is more important.

still lookin' for specific gps #'s

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks John -

Hopefully someone come up with LON/LAT numbers. I'll be out there Thurs and Fri -- If I see them, I'll mark them.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
thank you, Capt John

great info and it seems like the system may actually have worked this time!

thanks again!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Good info but it is hard to understand why they would put rocks in water shallow enough to cause hazards to navigation. Seems as there is plenty to deeper water where they can create structure.

One of my buds got in too close and banged his brand new F 250 last trip to Montauk. It is unnerving. Fortunately he only hit the skeg.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bill, they were placed there in 1999 as a fish habitat. it use to be a little known top water spot, but now with my posts i don't know.

i almost hit one a few days ago and i knew about them.....well most of them. so i decided to find out more. the feds have been very helpful.

so i guess in conclusion, i probably sacrificed a little known hot spot for public safety. no big deal.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Shawn-

If you want to fish a rock garden, fish the Susquehanna from Port Deposit up towards the Conowingo Dam. You used to be able to go the whole way up to the Dam but since 9/11 boats must stop at the tip of the island. We used tin boats with small outboards and a pitch fork attached to the lower unit to protect the prop. The current could be strong. When the water level was lowered, banging rocks on the way back down the river was common. In fact a couple of times the boat got stranded on a big rock and we had to get out and lift it off. Once you have that experience, you understand something about rocks. Stripers stay in the upper river all summer long. Some are big.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts