Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be in Virginia Beach on April 14 -15 and wanted to know a really good head boat to go out for the day on? What we would be fishing for and what would actually be biting at that time?

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I think you would be best to maybe do a deep drop trip out of va beach fishing center. They used to target seabass in april but i dont know if the season will be open in april. If bostom mackeral are around sometimes they have trips for those,delishious fish that most consider inedable.Mid April flounder and tog are available but I don't think the head boats target them.
The only other head boat fishery close would be for the croaker in the James river area but mid april is still a little early for the boats to have good catches in usual years.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If bostom mackeral are around sometimes they have trips for those,delishious fish that most consider inedable.
ccx2, I think you must have some Northern Roots, You like the Cod and now Boston Mackerel too!

I too think they are tasty, especially if you cut them up and boil them with the skin on for five minutes in salt water with a few bay leave thrown in. The oil that most complain about boil right out. mmm, mmm good. By the way cod are very good that way too. Except no Bay leaves.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
ccx2, I think you must have some Northern Roots, You like the Cod and now Boston Mackerel too!

I too think they are tasty, especially if you cut them up and boil them with the skin on for five minutes in salt water with a few bay leave thrown in. The oil that most complain about boil right out. mmm, mmm good. By the way cod are very good that way too. Except no Bay leaves.
Nope,I slithered out in old Leigh Memorial,Norfolk and raised in Va Beach all me life cept for three yrs in the navy in Florida in the early seventies.
Boston Macs are the very best of all fish for smoking also.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Call Skip at the VB fishing center, you dont have to wait until mid April either, go catcha a big monster grouper with him right now!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.