Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a last minute decision to get out there and chase some cats on the lower suskie and/or flats. Ramping at Port D.... see you guys out there. Will provide a report.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got on the water around 0900 and ran south to the bridges. First set yielded a 11lb and 10 lb blue that went in the box. Next came a 7 lb channel. Died down so we shot back north up by the islands North of Port D. Quickly caught a 15 then 20 lb Blue! All caught on fresh bunker chunks. Not a bad day!
P4101859.JPG

·
Registered
149 Posts
Nice haul. If you don't mind me asking what water depth did you catch them in and how much weight did you use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The big ones were in 6-8 feet rocky bottom with 1/2 oz weights. The 10ishes were in about 30-40 (I speculate as it drops off real fast) with 2oz weights. Of course a braid friendly fish finder was used. Also... both 10ish pounders were caught on my baitrunner 8000 rig. The big ones were on standard spining reels/rods and almost broke the pole in half on the initial hit. All lip hooked with #6 circles.

·
Registered
13,946 Posts
Nice catch and great to fish for when the stripers are off limits. Very tasty table fare too. I deep fry, grill and smoke them. If you go to the Potomac you can catch them 70-80 pounds. ..........Gary

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks Marshbum. If you were in the boat in your avatar I believe I saw you. We spent most of our time fishing for white perch but did soak some bait on Circle hooks. My son had a big cow rockfish at the boat. When it made it's appearance I was going for the camera and missed seeing it. Hook came loose right after that.

I am sure other boats were catching perch but other than us I didn't personally see any caught. That's usually the other way around for me.

I couldn't justify spending $13 for a dozen of BW for Perch. Instead we used Night crawler and they worked fine.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
That is great and scary. I can only imagine how much a 20 lb Blue is eating. These things might grow up to 80 lbs in our area.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I agree with Skip. The Bay is on its knees and the Blues are coming in for the kill shot. Damn! Each of them is like a little bottom net on a trawler. Anything and everything. You might guess I have zero interest in catching them and you would be correct.

·
Registered
13,946 Posts
I agree with Skip. The Bay is on its knees and the Blues are coming in for the kill shot. Damn! Each of them is like a little bottom net on a trawler. Anything and everything. You might guess I have zero interest in catching them and you would be correct.
Steve, These blue cats are always abundant in the bay in the Spring. As the salinity rises in the Summer, they will retreat back into the rivers. I am the MD recreational representative on NOAA Baywide catfish action team and we are working hard on a solution to reduce their numbers. We will meet at VCU this Summer again. It ain't easy........ Gary

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Gary - N B S seafood on Dorsey Rd near BWI is selling whole Blue Cats for $2.00 a pound.
Any thought on a big push to market the Cats in Md ?

·
Registered
13,946 Posts
Gary - N B S seafood on Dorsey Rd near BWI is selling whole Blue Cats for $2.00 a pound.
Any thought on a big push to market the Cats in Md ?
Skip, I am the one working on marketing and increased interest in fishing for them. I have been giving people samples of blue catfish I smoke and taking many people fishing for them. I'm taking Erik Zlokovitz, from DNR and his Son fishing for them tomorrow. Any ideas would be appreciated.........Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I saved all of them (but threw back the channel). When I sent the pic of a plate full of fried fillets to my Pa in Law last night he litereally said.... "Next thing you know you will be eating possum". Well, the next time he is down from Jersey (not the city part:) he is getting blue cat and he can eat his words for desert.

I grew up in Kansas eating catfish. While I always liked it I never had any cat that tasted better than good old CB Blue Cat! I ranks right up there with Snakehead (and he is going to get to try that too)!

JIT.... Yup... That was me in the "Wife Season". Ironically... went with a bud as it was a little chilly for the wife (Skipper of her boat). Wave hi next time!

TCS

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
I've been reading up on the internet about the favorite Catfish and from what I've read the favored Catfish is the Flathead for eating? It was said the Blue Catfish was fatty in taste comparisons, maybe that's why they are better smoked. I've eaten smoked everything in fish including Bull Heads and Eels and I think you can smoke an old shoe at it would taste good . I've never eaten either the Blue or the Flathead . What's your preference? BTW the Md. State record Flathead 57# was caught in the Susquehanna last Dec.27 I think,
where you were fishing.. I would like to say I would like the opinion of a Catfish Conna Sewer( Im sure you're father in law would chuckle) but I don't want to start another jokingly war. So I won't say that.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not a conasewer but I ate Blue cat this year for the first time. I have eaten Channel's, flathead and now blues. I prefer blues. First very large catfish that was not extremely strong. I did take the time to remove the red line like I do in striper. I will be pursuing them on the Susquehanna this year. I will harvest most for the table.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
One thing the article did say and everyone knows this. It depends on the water they are taken from regardless of the species of Catfish. on how they taste I also read an article about what were in the Blues stomachs in the Potomac and in the James river where they were originally stocked and decided not to post it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been catching and harvesting hundreds of pounds of Blue cats each week recently from the bay on oyster bottom near the mouth of the Magothy. What we don't eat is given away to friends or the soup kitchen. I agree that the water they are in makes a big difference to the taste. Catfish caught over hard bottom are very mild tasting with no muddy flavor. I have prepared them many ways including blackened, fried, grilled, fish chowder, broiled and the leftovers make a great fish salad. They are great food, but a 25 pound fish only has about 8 pounds of meat so $2.00 a pound actually sounds pricey for whole fish. The big ones (20+) put up a pretty good fight. The small ones hit hard but give up quickly and you just drag them to the boat like dead weight. The CCA wants you to post your catch including pics of the stomach contents but cutting into their guts is foul and smelly so when I clean them I only occasionally do an autopsy. Mostly they are full of small clams but the big ones frequently have whole fish including rockfish to 14 inches and decent size shad or Menhaden.

·
Registered
11,095 Posts
Those are my favorite ways to cook fish too. Blackened or make fish cakes ,Crab Cake style .Podickory Point might be Blue Cat central this year along with the rest of the Upper Bay Shoals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts