Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, actually the Captains Cove Community on the Mainland side of *****. bay. We are renting a house there on the water and keeping my boat at the dock. I was just wondering if anyone has fished this particular area? This is basically a dedicated flounder trip because fishing the midbay doesnt offer near the opportunity for flatfish as Chincoteague area. I am just trying to gather as much intel before I get there being its my first time. I have a 23' CC so I should be able to go just about anywhere I'd imagine. Just looking for a few pointers! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
the mid-atlantic inshore forum covers that area, too.
By "CC" do you mean carolina skiff or center console? If it's a deep v, watch your depths, tides and flats. Be sure you have a shove pole or oar (not paddle).

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Well, actually the Captains Cove Community on the Mainland side of *****. bay. I have a 23' CC so I should be able to go just about anywhere I'd imagine. J
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Not even close! Not being smart, it's just that there is a lot of shallow water and no markers, so you have no idea where there is water and where there isn't. In addtion you can go from 10' of water to 6" in a couple of feet. All that aside there is also plenty of areas to fish in a 23' CC I fish there out of one and Terp fishes out of 24' cat. I fish from Terps house so he has shown me around and the fishing can be good. If you can hook up with him your golden or PM me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I suppose the flats between Captains Cove and the Queen Sound bridge would be the closest flounder "hot spot" near Chincoteague. We fish that area coming from Trails End. We see more and more boat traffic coming and going toward CC. There must be an art to finding the channel. There are white poles marking some of the bars. If you can find them and figure out which side to pass them the poles might be of some help. The "10 feet to 6 inches" is no exaggeration. Take it slow until you know or get some experienced help. Cockle Creek and the area between Captain Bob's and the Queen Sound bridge are also popular spots. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Coming out of the Cove u will have good water (5') for a bit...buttttttt....the northern entrance to QS is shoaling and there is only like 2' till u get to the deeper water entrance. If u miss the entrance u will be spending your afternoon high and dry. You will either need to follow one of us out or we'll have 2 give u some #'s to put in your gps. Some guys will be marking the run from the Cove to the QS northern entrance here shortly as I saw em out a couple weeks doing some spot soundings. They use hoppity hop balls to mark the channel.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Are you renting canal front or bayfront? If bayfront you may want to trailer daily. Some of the bayfront homes have docks, but i can get more than a little choppy in the afternoon.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears to be bayfront based on the pics I was sent on the rental site. Looks like pretty wide open water past the dock. Is that area of the bay fairly shallow?

·
Registered
615 Posts
from where you are its 5-7ft for a mile or two till you get near qs

same depth (~7') if you run north on the entire western side of the bay past the md/va line

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Just reread this post and it almost sounds scary, but you have a blast there, just get the info you need to navigate and catch them up. CC is a great place and I'd live there if I could earn a living down that way. Make sure you check out the club at the marina for a meal or two, great food.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts