Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fly tomorrow to central FL to visit my parents. Dad isn't doing real well these days, and I'm hoping he can still make our annual guided trip on Lake George.

I've taken my fly rod on the last three trips and have tried a lot of frog-like weedless poppers, and some weedless flies I made up to look like a Golden Shiner (a baitfish found in nearly all the lakes and rivers down there).

Just haven't had much luck coaxing the bass. Any tips on how to fly fish the tea-colored water of Lake George, the St. John's river, Lake Crescent, and some of the tribs running into them?

I've packed my fly tying equipment and plan to play around with some patterns, and any guidance (with pics that I could use as a pattern) would be appreciated.

·
Registered
668 Posts
PC,

Will be in SW and Central FL in a couple of weeks. I studiously avoid fishing in any place you are supposed to fish -- Kissimee et al -- and fish where you are not. Community association ponds are at the top of my list. Some are gated some are not. I also like ponds behind/next to shopping centers. Same for churches. Almost all hold bass, not all big though I have caught LMBs to 9 lbs on fly this way. Highway interchanges often have ponds tucked in by the off-ramps. Very underrated waters.

Get a decent map, put your rod in the trunk of your car, drive around, explore and leave behind the mindset of fishing in the places that folks say you should fish.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
We have had very little rain since the first of the year so the lakes should be fairly clear. Our ponds on the 3 golf courses we have are loaded with big bass, 2 9lb fish were caught the past week by kids, the big aligators are also getting active and everyday we see more of them on the banks of the ponds sunning themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts