Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heading out to CLT this Friday 8/5? I talked my Dad & brother into blowing off work so we'll probably head out there around 10:00.
Anybody checked out the rail cars out by the tower this year? Last year there seemed to be a wider variety of fish (and lobster) there than at the tower.
We'll be on a 21' Hydra Sport if anyone is heading out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maine - had claws. It was about this time last year, we wer diving the rail cars when I saw one in one of the cars (not very big). Didn't want to spear it, not loose fingers attempting to catch it. We moved over to the tower for a few Spades. The guys who had been diving just up from us came by to show us the 2 or 3 the actually caught, one of them had to be a 5-6 lb'er, it nearly filled a 5 gal bucket.
That's the only time I have seen them out there.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Yes,Lobster[grin]Since I dont dive,I had to jump through a lot of "hoops"to get the down and dirty on dropping pots out there(recreational)Enjoy reading the posts from you guys,I would like to take a swim sometime myself[grin]

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
As a rec.,you can drop pots,as long as the opening is within the Va regs. for seabass.Carpace lenght must be 3 1/2 or larger and it would be a good idea to put your hull or licence #'s on the float.Very vague,but no one but the comms. drop pots,hence the many calls I had to make[wink]I spoke with NMFS,DGIF and VMRC-most were puzzled by the question since I'm not a comm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quick trip report - My trip quickly turned into adventures in babysitting when my woodhead brother showed up at the Lynhaven boat ramp with his 3 *********. I kept telling myself, we can still do this. Get the boat in the water and head out. The youngest had never been in a boat in open water and proceeds to freak out as we pass Cape Henry towards the CLT. I decide to check out the Westmoreland wreck while my brother attempts to calm down freaked out kid. Dropped over the side, vis was good until about 20 ft, then went from 10-15 ft to 5-6ft. At 50 ft it felt like it was 50 degrees and I could see the end of the pole spear. Hit bottom and decided to head up, the couple of fish checking me out were in and out of visibility range before I could react. Note to self - don't dive the Westmoreland on out going tide.
I get back on the boat and Spaz-boy is now ready to jump over the side because an outbound destroyer is heading out. Spaz is under the impression that 1) we are going to get run over or 2) the destroyer is going to shoot us. I'm thinking this trip is a wash, unless I can tie the little ****** to the anchorline like a mooring bouy and pick him up on the way back - he' wearing a yellow life jacket, that should keep him from getting run over. Needless to say - my brother doesn't want to explain to his wife why the kid is deathly afraid of water. So we decided to hangout and line fish. Hanging over the Westmoreland we caught 6 small (2-3 ft) sharks in about 30 minutes, this sent spaz-boy into the cuddy cabin. Headed back towards the CBBT, caught 4 or 5 flounder, nothing worth keeping, then headed in. We did dive all the bouys for cobia on the way back in, some small schools of fish - not sure what they were since I wasn't able to spear any, but I tried. I did get my brother interested in spearing, so hopefully next time he'll leave the werewolves at home next time. Pretty much a wash. I'll try again in a few weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts