Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I got a 10 pack of lower unit oil drain gaskets online for reasonable price. They might be OEM. For the price it might be a good insurance to replace them when changing lower unit oil. And a proper sized screw driver. I've been using a drag link socket that I "tuned" with a file to perfect fit those little slotted headed rascals. Much better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Since we're sort of on the topic... do you all put anything on the lower unit drain screws before re-installing? I've read that some use Locktite Blue, some use Permatex Anti-Seize Lube, and some just wipe'em down leaving the slightest bit of oil on the threads. I kind-of think that if I'm changing the oil regularly that no additional treatment is needed.
I use Lucas gear oil in my Yamaha's with no supplements or additives and I just wipe the screws clean before reinstalling them with a new washer. I wouldn't want any thread lock because the screws can be hard enough to pull. I've never had a lower unit drain screw back out and I've never noticed any drips. I have had that braid thing around the shaft so now I pull the prop every so often.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts