Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visited the headwaters of a favorite brookie stream today. Plenty of water in the streams and rivers. I was hoping it would warm up a bit today, but I ended up fishing in the rain all afternoon. Not an easy day. It's starting to look like spring in the mountains, but the fish still aren't looking up for dry flies. Caught a 1/2 dozen fish all day, the nicest of which wouldn't cooperate for a photo. Still a nice day for a walk in the woods...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Marcel,

I can not speak entirely for Chris, but I fish a lot in the Shenandoah national Park here in western VA. The brrok trout we have in the headwater streams I fish can be spooky but often times are very agressive. The food sources in these small streams can be scant. I use a 3wt 7ft rod and typical floating line. I use size 5 or smaller tippet. This past Wednesday when i fished they were taking drys such as Parachute Adams fairly well. But the bigger fish hit pheasant tail nymphs fished under the dry. Ant patterns also worked well. I caught dozens of fish most 5-9inch in length and a few small dace too. In a deep pool I saw a large brook trout "nyphing" as i call it. In othjer words he was actively feeding below the surface as he was turning broadside. I could not entice him to the surface, but luckily with some stealht I caught him on a small clouser (cheating in some books I know) He was 12+ inches and my largest "native" trout I have caught in Virginia. Oh most casts are made upstream except in pools with eddies when some trout look downstream inot the back eddie. My big fish was doing this BTW. If you cast upstream most of the time in riffles you will be OK and not spook the fish. Just try to stay out of the water as much as one can, and I get low when I cast too. If they are spooked wait 5 minutes they may turn on. I love brook trout fishing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Marcel,

I can not speak entirely for Chris, but I fish a lot in the Shenandoah national Park here in western VA. The brrok trout we have in the headwater streams I fish can be spooky but often times are very agressive. The food sources in these small streams can be scant. I use a 3wt 7ft rod and typical floating line. I use size 5 or smaller tippet. This past Wednesday when i fished they were taking drys such as Parachute Adams fairly well. But the bigger fish hit pheasant tail nymphs fished under the dry. Ant patterns also worked well. I caught dozens of fish most 5-9inch in length and a few small dace too. In a deep pool I saw a large brook trout "nyphing" as i call it. In othjer words he was actively feeding below the surface as he was turning broadside. I could not entice him to the surface, but luckily with some stealht I caught him on a small clouser (cheating in some books I know) He was 12+ inches and my largest "native" trout I have caught in Virginia. Oh most casts are made upstream except in pools with eddies when some trout look downstream inot the back eddie. My big fish was doing this BTW. If you cast upstream most of the time in riffles you will be OK and not spook the fish. Just try to stay out of the water as much as one can, and I get low when I cast too. If they are spooked wait 5 minutes they may turn on. I love brook trout fishing.
Couldn't have said it better myself. ;) 12 inches is a huge brook trout for these small mountain streams. My personal best is 11.5 inches. The stream pictured above also has wild browns in the lower sections. I've caught quite a few that were probably 12-13 inches. Not huge, but still a lot of fun in a little stream like this.

Marcel: As for gear, I have a 5' 3 weight that is kind of fun to use sometimes, but I prefer my 7' 4 weight because it roll casts better. I spend a lot of time on my knees fishing these small streams. The fish can be spooky at times, especially when the water level is down. Levels are great now. We just need it to warm up a bit.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very nice, love the colors on those brookies.
Are those fish difficult to approach since the water
is shallow and clear ?
What gear do you use for those headwaters ?
Marcel, if you ever make it to the mid atlantic region, I'll be happy to take you fishing! Of course, I'm sure anyone on the board would do the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts