Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
It's funny they won't say where they are being caught.
I am pretty sure they were fishing the 150K rockfish shootout. Where they ran out of just N of the Va bay bridge I imagine these fish could of come from the ocean somewhere between the bay bridge and the Md line.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am pretty sure they were fishing the 150K rockfish shootout. Where they ran out of just N of the Va bay bridge I imagine these fish could of come from the ocean somewhere between the bay bridge and the Md line.
Thanks,, I could not help but wonder also.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Start at high rise, work north. Saw them caught yesterday at cabbage patch. We went north yesterday to cherrystone reef.
Had one run turn head, spit hook. LOTS of bait and birds

·
Registered
318 Posts
Lots of bait and birds? How can that be? From what I read on here, Omega has caught all of the menhaden in the bay......
Seriously, I had a friend who fished the lower bay yesterday and he sent me pictures of his depth finder with hard decks of bunker 20 to 40 feet thick. As I have said before, I don't think Omega is the problem. I am 52 years old and I have spent as much time on the lower bay as anyone here with the exception of the past couple months. I have lots of friends in the commercial and recreational fishery who tell me that they think there are as many bunker now as there have ever been. I have to agree based on my own personal observations. Let me be clear that I am not a fan of Omega nor am I affiliated with them in any way. I just don't think they are overfishing the bunker in the bay. The discharges and net failures are a different story though. That being said, there are definitely some problems with the stocks of other sport fish in the bay. I just don't think it is a menhaden issue. My opinion only!

Rex

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Rex I grew up in sand bridge in the 70s and 80s. The bunker schools were black clouds stretching for miles every summer. There were days when blues and specks and Macks would get run up on the beach. My dad and I would be fishing but you could literally walk down the beach and pick fish up beaching themselves running from bigger fish. The construction workers always had a rod ready. Big bluefish were a given if you had some wire and a Hopkins spoon. You are lucky to find a bait ball that you can get a cast net on these days. You may run the whole oceanfront looking for king mackerel bait. My observations are completely different than yours.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Gus I agree. I grew up fishing in the bay in the 70s and 80s. The bay is dead if you compare it to back then. There are many things responsible for the bays trouble. I think omega has definitely done more damage than we will ever be told. Money rules the world always has and always will.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The fact that someone took a picture of it tells you that is unusual. Past yrs it was normal to have DF screens filled ..
I have to say the other day I did troll over some menhaden covering bottom 5-7' deep in 35fow off Silver beach for about 300yards.
That was the most I had seen all year.
The last 2 days I marked Very few menhaden, most of the bait is those long thin bait fish.
newer DF's make it much easier to tell what kind of bait/fish your running over-- And off to either side of boat!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Always a pocket here or there where it's pretty thick but they are few and far between. Especially during the summer months when Omega is out there. Most balls will barely fill a swimming pool.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I keep seeing big as stripes being posted by chris's bait and tackle on facebook. Same thing last year, different pics now.Are these just old pics or are they catching farther up the bay like up past cape charles,buy 42?
We went out thanksgiving weekend. Fished kiptopeke to Cape charles,trolling,drifting eels. Nada,2 sharks though. Seen plenty of birds and bait,no stripers. When I got home I checked facebook,several pics of guys with huge stripers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts