Tidal Fish Forum banner

heart or lung?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  fishooter 
#1 ·
Me personally, I like the lung shot over the heart. If you go low you hit the heart, and the lung is three times the size of heart. The lung shot takes away the breathing which will bring an animal down in less than 10 seconds, the heart shot is a sure kill but the animal seems to go much further, and if you hit low, back or forward you are not in good vitals!

#2 ·
Lung

I couldn't agree more, lung shot is the only way to go. They may run a little farther than a heart shot, but it's a larger target, you won't waste a whole front end to blood shot meat, if you err a little forward you're gonna' get the heart, if you err a little aft your gonna' get the liver, if you err high you're gonna get the spine and if you err low you'll probably still catch a bit of the bottom of the lung. In my experience you're better off shooting for the top of the lung. With a hole in the top the lungs they will fill with blood faster and not run out of the bottom.
Never really dropped a deer with a lung shot until black powder season a few years ago. Shot a spike at 25 feet with a .45 Knight, aiming for the lungs. When the the smoke cleared the deer was gone, couldn't believe it, no way I missed 'til I looked down out of the stand to see him lying where he was standing, stone cold dead. Never did figure that one out.

#3 ·
I have always favored the lung shot just because of the wide margin of error. What I do is key in on a specific spot and focus all my energy on hitting that exact spot not just a general area. That way even if I miss the exact spot it's still within an inch or two. I did however double lung an 8 pointer with a 30-06 and he ran about 400 yrds uphill. Both lungs where puncutred and full of blood and he still ran 400 yrds. Figure that one out. Later on after gutting him I decided it was poor bullet performance. The fast movin heavy bullet failed to expand and really did little damage to the meat. Sometimes you can use to heavy a bullet actually do less damage than a smaller lighter caliber. Both entrance and exit wounds looked like a pencil hole. Since then I've been hunting with a .243 with Ballistic silver tips and all the deer have fallen within 50 yrds.

#4 ·
LUNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 ·
If I had to choose ........ definitely the lung ........ they seem to run less and drop sooner and don't seem as stressed. I've exploded the heart and the deer still ran 200 yds ...... the lung shot is usually within 50 yds.

The shot I like the best is the double lung/heart ........ 3 for 3 with my 10 PT cross bow:yes: :yes: :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.