Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I don't know how to track a blood trail, I do. Was wondering if anyone ever used one of these gizmos. One ad claims it can locate a deer size animal/human @ 300 yards, rabbits and birds up to 50 yards. So I looked for reviews on the internet, only was able to find one. This guy sez his would locate a large dog @ 20 feet, but that was about it. A fool and his money are soon parted as they say. Thought it might be usefull finding a downed Pheasant in tall weeds and smashed down corn, since I don't hunt with a dog. Dog might be a better investment. T.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have used one myself and can tell you they work for finding any heat and that could be sun shining on a tree or several other items on brite days. With that said they are very sensitive and very good for finding game animals using their body heat but if there are other hot spots it makes it hard to use during brite sunny days because it give to many false positives. Now after dark or cloudy days it works great hands down it would find your game withen reason, not sure how far but know it depends on the cover.

·
Registered
717 Posts
No bash on Fisher54 but I played with them a few years back and didn't find them very reliable at all. I have spent a great deal of time researching thermal imaging equipment and use several units frequently. A base line thermal camera starts at 8k and can quickly jump to 50K+. The thermal field glasses I use were roughly $8400 on special. With that said I must also mention you can purchase a IR temp sensor for less than $100. No doubt the technology is there, however for the money they want for the units offered it can only do but so much. ALong the lines of fisher's post. Remember, it only detects temp differences, and it does not look through brush or undergrowth. If the ground is one temp, the trees a significantly different temp, then throw in some ice or snow patches, there's a significant challenge.

Here's a test you may wish to try before throwing away the receipt. Clear cold night, a field with some deer (or cows) see how it works? I did this with deer at roughy 75-150 yards and it failed.

Good Luck just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
337 Posts
No bash taken, on the test you are talking about, the unit I had passed the said test for me, we must have had different units or sensors and find it interesting how they differ. Like above post states it does not do well through brush but will pick up through lite brush. All in all they will help find game fairly close by but not at long distance and in the right conditions.

·
Registered
13,936 Posts
I have a game finder and have never been successful with it. It is needed in the warmer bow hunting months to locate deer. It works best when it is cold out and the animal is warm. Don't need it too often during gun season. If you want a really good thermal unit.........be prepared to pay 3 to 5 thousand. It might be worth it to find the buck of a lifetime! A good hound is better...........Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts