Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is President George Bush who the hell are you calling sweetheart....(damned NSA got the wiretaps crossed again).

Associated Press
Update 24: Bush Approved Eavesdropping, Official Says
12.16.2005, 08:46 PM

President Bush has personally authorized a secretive eavesdropping program in the United States more than three dozen times since October 2001, a senior intelligence official said Friday night.

The disclosure follows angry demands by lawmakers earlier in the day for a congressional inquiry into whether the monitoring by the highly secretive National Security Agency violated civil liberties.

"There is no doubt that this is inappropriate," declared Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee. He promised hearings early next year.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You know sport, I think you would be better served if you organized an underground group and plotted the assasination of our President, George Bush. This way it would be a lot quicker then your dailey minute by minute verbal assaination of him and maybe this board would become less boring and a little more stimulating then watching wall paper peel.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like your boys JFK and Clinton who would have that phone call.

So what if he did?

Historicly presidents have authorized a ton of CIA operations.

Would you rather they just do whatever may be sensitive, as they please?

You would rather they come to the floor of congress and let them posture endlessly?

This is why the founding fathers wanted the president to have a lot more power to streamline decisions like that in time of war.

I suppose you think he must have been up to something? Protecting his daddys oil interests? Wiretapping a bunch of freethinking students? the DNC?

Or is it two things you hate, Bush, and the CIA actually doing something.

·
Registered
72 Posts
[q]This is why the founding fathers wanted the president to have a lot more power to streamline decisions like that in time of war. [/q]

Wow are you stupid, Bush' actions are so far from the desires of the foounding fathers you couldnt see them with the Hubble

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fiskamon...ole sport.

I'm so sorry that my daily comments disturbs your ability to be stimulated and excited. Of course, if you did not read them....well you know. I do realize that we who do not do what you wish, how you wish and when you wish are irritating to you.

May I be a whole infestation of chiggers!!!!

[excited]

·
Registered
798 Posts
I thought we were at war?

Read Article II, Section II of the constitution about the president being the commander in chief of all armed forces in time of war.

Congress can undeclare war, or impeach him. Untill then, quit whining.

Lincoln shut down a lot of newspapers during the civil war. Stuff that in your little armchair whinefest.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
May I have some Wisconsin Extra Sharp Cheddar with my whine?[grin].

I point out that Senator Arlen Specter is a long-serving, highly respected Republican Senator. It further comes to my attention that when a Senator of the same party as the President wishes to call a special inquiry into the actions or behavior of that President then the general public should take note and be of attentive concern.

That you do not think so is your choice just as it is not to read what I post.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wow are you stupid, Bush' actions are so far from the desires of the foounding fathers you couldnt see them with the Hubble
[/Q]

what they really meant was to have the govt pay for all of our healthcare. go ahead, read the constitution, it's in there, implied, gotta read it CAREFULLY, you'll see it. just like Hillary said about gun laws, about our responsibility to restrict firearms, that seems to be implied by the 2nd ammendment. she said, I heard it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Didn't spectre succesfully argue to reduce the Unicorn Killer's bail from 40,000 to 4,000, and pay it out of pocket, letting him evade the law for 16 years in Europe? Boy that was a good call. He really protected HIS civil liberities after they found his girlfriends body rotting in a trunk in his closet. The unicorn killer's defense was that the CIA had set him up cause they didnt like his politics. Maybe the CIA is trying to frame law abiding, yet politicly disagreeing people again.

These posts are not your property once sent to Tidalfish. I am assuming you want a reasonable dialogue, as everyone else does(I dont want you to feel like your privacy has been violated). But then again, you dont have to read my responses, either. [grin]

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Fisk he's just a sounding board for dummycrat, or was that defeatacrat politics. And if Bush didnt act and some of the defeatacrats got blown up, he'd find a blog on how Bush failed to act. Same Ol talking points, just a different day.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Senators record is not of import to me but the fact that he and the President share the same party and he is calling for a investigation of the President is.

You are in good company: One Fisk suggests I form a underground group and plan to assinate the President. Something which never entered my mind but does say a lot about how Fisk would deal with disagreement.

Then you have Fishfool who apparently has not a clue regarding the Constitution as he feels it is designed to give massive powers to the President. Of course the concerns of those structuring the Constitution was exactly the opposite.

Finally you have Capt. Frank....well he stands alone. I have caught him in so many dumb statements that he has become the BS Board comic. I'am always gratified to find him on the opposing side to one of my arguments. [grin]

·
Registered
798 Posts
Yep, a non-wartime president.

Article II, section 2. Read it.

The constitution does not provide congress a right to to delegate the powers of a wartime president. It all makes good chest thumping, and news ratings, but the fact remains. Once congress declares war, the power of the armed forces, and all federal security orginizations, rests with the "Commander in Chief"

congress can undeclare war, impeach, or sit around and whine, but thats about it. I dont want any decision the president makes in a time of war to be mulled over by critics, presidential hopefulls, past presidents, aspiring journalists, or whoever to reach a consensus before a decision is made.

Neither did the framers of the constitution. Why do you think they gave the president broad powers, after congress declared war.

When General Washington was trying to fight the British, what do you think would have happened if every time a scout set foot onto private property for eavesdropping, he had to get a judge to ok the operation. Do you think the ACLU would allow Washington to spy on those aiding the British?

The same goes for Lincoln during the Civil War. What do you think would have happened if all domestic spy operations had to be signed off by judges? Lincoln, as I said, shut newspapers down to quell the inflammatory speech that non-abolitionist and southern sympathizers had.

I know that we mistakenly imprisioned Japanese citizens duriing World War II. We did what we thought was best. We were at a very real risk of being wiped off the map from both sides. The supreme court felt so strongly in the matter that it refused to hear cases questioning the draft, or the imprisonments. What about the blackouts along the coastal areas to prevent German subs from spotting the shadows of our ships. Did anyone cry foul in because the military was telling civillians to keep their lights off? How many lives were saved because no one cried that their civil liberties were violated. There were German spies in WWII. Did the military ned to go get a judge to sign an order every time they needed to eavesdrop?

When congress declares war, these are the powers of the president to defend the country against those that would do it harm.

This is one great thing about having a president, to be able to identify threats quickly and act on them without the having to wait for congressional or judiciary aproval. This is not some corrupt regime trying to dismantel our constitution and democratic process, but a wartime president, trying to do his job to protect out country while we are in a war that was declared by congress. One great by product of having that kind of power in the hands of one person is that he can make orders which prevent the enemy from using our own beuracratic process to its advantage, such as the ACLU crying about subway searches, or the cronies in Al-Qaida watching our congress and media get weak in the knees after we start to sweat in Iraq, so they can time their attacks for maximum effect.

·
Registered
72 Posts
OK brain surgeon; where does it give him the power to subvert the Constitution?

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
[q]As president, I took an oath to defend the Constitution and I have no greater responsibility than to protect our people, our freedom and our way of life.

On Sept. 11, 2001, our freedom and way of life came under attack by brutal enemies who killed nearly 3,000 innocent Americans. We're fighting these enemies across the world. Yet in this first war of the 21st century, one of the most critical battlefronts is the home front. And since Sept. 11, we've been on the offensive against the terrorists plotting within our borders.

The House of Representatives passed reauthorization of the Patriot Act, yet a minority of senators filibustered to block the renewal of the Patriot Act when it came up for a vote yesterday. That decision is irresponsible and it endangers the lives of our citizens.

The senators who are filibustering must stop their delaying tactics and the Senate must vote to reauthorize the Patriot Act.

In the war on terror we cannot afford to be without this law for a single moment. To fight the war on terror, I'm using authority vested in me by Congress, including the joint authorization for use of military force, which passed overwhelmingly in the first week after Sept. 11. I'm also using constitutional authority vested in me as commander in chief.

In the weeks following the terrorist attacks on our nation, I authorized the National Security Agency, consistent with U.S. law and the Constitution, to intercept the international communications of people with known links to Al Qaeda and related terrorist organizations. Before we intercept these communications, the government must have information that establishes a clear link to these terrorist networks.

This is a highly classified program that is crucial to our national security. Its purpose is to detect and prevent terrorist attacks against the United States, our friends and allies.

Yesterday, the existence of this secret program was revealed in media reports after being improperly provided to news organizations. As a result, our enemies have learned information they should not have.

And the unauthorized disclosure of this effort damages our national security and puts our citizens at risk. Revealing classified information is illegal, alerts our enemies and endangers our country.

[/q]

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
OMG we have a President who started a war by torturing Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi to the point of giving information that was not truthful but crucial to start a war. Now he justifies illegal spying by claiming that it's exposure is helping the enemy? This guy has lost it... somewhere along the way he has forgotten he is President and I'll give him a break in claiming he thinks he's a King... otherwise he could be mistaken as a dictator.

Sorry but we are well beyond the point of official investigations and congressional committees... this guys is off the deep end nuts, and not one tax payer dollar needs to be wasted proving it. What has happened to my country? This is beyond embarassing.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
The NSA has made a referral to the justice department regarding the release of this classified information. This should be amusing. Can we expect all the same people incensed over the release of Plame's name to demand justice?

Should be a short investigation; it was only known to a few congressmen.

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
[Q]etouffe123 originally wrote:
The Senators record is not of import to me but the fact that he and the President share the same party and he is calling for a investigation of the President is.

You are in good company: One Fisk suggests I form a underground group and plan to assinate the President. Something which never entered my mind but does say a lot about how Fisk would deal with disagreement.

Then you have Fishfool who apparently has not a clue regarding the Constitution as he feels it is designed to give massive powers to the President. Of course the concerns of those structuring the Constitution was exactly the opposite.

Finally you have Capt. Frank....well he stands alone. I have caught him in so many dumb statements that he has become the BS Board comic. I'am always gratified to find him on the opposing side to one of my arguments. [grin]
[/Q]
I'd rather be a comic then a crybaby, besides who likes to hear a baby crying all the time.[tongue]

1 - 20 of 49 Posts