Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have been lurking on this site for quite some time and I have to say that I have learned an enormous amount from you all. This is the best site out there.

I have been fishing on the bay w/charters and from the shoreline for the past 5 years and have finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a boat. The main use of the boat will be fishing/crabbing but I do need the ability to pull a tube and to accomidate the family (4 total) and the occasoinal guests.

I have looked into DC's but they tend to run around 19-21'. I am leaning more towards a CC (we do not want a WA b/c we would be loosing above deck space). I am wondering what would be good size boat for the bay chop?

I was thinking of a 22-24' CC ? Am I on track?

Also what are some recomendations for a family accomidating CC? I was looking at Polar, Century, Robalo and a couple of others. They seem to have comfortable arrangements and still maintain their fishability.

If you guys have any recomendations it would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
First, you need to determine if you are going to trailer the boat. If you are, then how much can you pull now with the vehicle you have. If you have a larger truck that is rated to tow about 6,000 pounds you are ready to look at boats.

If the truck (or two vehicle) can only tow say 5,000 or less then you'll need to look at boats that you like (Robalo is a very good boat) and see if that when fully gassed up with all equipment on board will you be able to pull it? Don't forget the people that will be riding in the tow vehicle because they count toward the towed weight rating.

I personally would get a t least a 20 foot boat. I think you're on the right track with the 22 - 24 foot range. In the larger boats a porta-pottie can be found in some of the consoles which is god for the wife and any other girls that will be on board. This is important for them.

Deadrise (degree of angle of the hull at the transom) is important in your ride. If naasty weather comes up you don't want to be trying to get home in a hurry and pounding the daylights out of you and the boat. The deeper the deadrise (more angle) the softer the ride in the rough weather, but it will be more tender at rest (rock back and forth) on smaller seas than one with a lesser deadrise angle. For instance, a 24 degree deadrise will run great in a rough sea, but in a 1 foot sea will rock back and forth. With a 14 degree deadrise you'll pound your teeth out in a one to two foot sea at any kind of speed.

Outboard on a bracket would be a good choice if you're not comfortable dong your own maintenance on an I/O. I/Os are more efficient gasoline-wise than a lot of the outboards (some of the new 4 strokes outboards are very fuel efficient, but expensive) and don't burn oil like the two strokes.

Having a bracket with an outboard gets the engine away from the hull and gives more room inside.

Make sure the boat you get has a fair amount of storage space. Make sure it holds a suffucuent amount of gasoline. For instance, my boat holds just over a hundred gallons which is more than enough for bay use, but I've seen some that hold 45 - 50 gallons and that may not be enough.

Hope some of this has helped. I probably have missed some points, but I think I have covered the important ones. The biggest is NOT to get a boat so big that the present tow vehicle can't handle it. My boat/trailer combination is around 6,000 pounds and I tow with a 3/4 ton pickup with a 3.73:1 limited slip rear. A 4x4 will have a tow rating less than a 4x2 with limited slip. I do not have any problems on the ramps with my setup.

Good luck and one more thing. Before you buy the boat and make that commitment, take it for a test drive in the snottiest weather you can get. Once it's bought and you find out it doesn't ride well in the rough stuff or it's a wet rider or whatever it will be too late at that point to change your mind.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts