Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow up to my Monday post fishing with Dad in the Upper Bay, he did get nicked by a rockfish that drew a bleeder for a short time. Threw some of that hand lotion (antibacterial) on it and forgot it. Well the next day his finger is swollen, then hand and now going up his arm :eek2:! Doc gave him an antibiotic which has done nothing. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
Mike K.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mike-

I am a drug rep and I know several doctors that have treated fisherman with this issue. If you are interested I can forward you their names and numbers. These doctors are also fisherman themselves.

I am pretty sure that the standard therapy is a course of antibiotics.

Good Luck!

Sykesville
Rhode River
27'Judge Chesapeake

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Make sure He sees a DR. thats Familar with it!Did He tell the Doc. how it happened?Any response from the Doc.?A few Guys on here have had it,needs to be taken care of A.S.A.P!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been there........ended up with an infectious desease doc and weeks of antibiotics...........zifromax. Called micbacterium marinium.......serious stuff, needs attention. Taught me to handle fish w/gloves.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
My father had a similar thing happen but from a crab bite,make sure he goes back to a doc ASAP ,its nothing to fool around with.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sounds like some different antibiotics are needed. I wonder if this type of infection has always been a hazard of fish handling? Or is this a more recent problem brought about by the pollution in the bay? (Don't mean to hijack the thread) Hope your Dad is ok.

·
Registered
304 Posts
A friend had it and it took forever to get rid of. His antibiotics were so hard core he had to get his kndey's tested quite often. Certainly isn't anything to mess with.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Don't waste anytime getting a culture done and finding out exactyl what you are dealing with. I've been battling an infection in my ankle for many months now. The longer you wait the harder it will be to get rid of. Take a proactive course of action and keep up with the antibiotics until you finish the entire prescription.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had fish handlers disease and let it go a little to long before seeing a doctor and I had to have an operation on my hand and arm. Don't let dad wait to long before going back to see the doctor

·
Registered
13,953 Posts
WOW, Scary responses:eek2: Sounds like some REAL serious stuff. I guess from now on I'll wear gloves.......Good luck to your Dad............Gary

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I worked for 32 years in the tuberculosis lab for the State of Maryland. We identified and treated "fish handlers" Mycobacterium marinum all the time. Your dad probably has a "routine" infection (marinum is very slow growing and very difficult to treat). Take him to an infectious desiese doctor!!!!! Make sure they do a culture so the right drugs are used the FIRST TIME!!!! Tell them how it happened so a sample can be sent for marinum testing (it will take about six to eight weeks to get back a NEGATIVE report!!!! It will take even longer for a report if it's positive. Lots of nasty stuff in the bay waters. I don't mean to alarm you, but this sounds like it needs to be done ASAP. 5th(Marty)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I don't mean to alarm everyone. I don't wear gloves when I fish, thousands of fishermen don't wear gloves. Lots of charter fishermen handle many more fish than the "average" guy on this board. You just need to be aware of the possibility of getting something nasty from the bay waters. Even though marinum may be the most difficult and the longest treatment, it is pretty rare. Lots of faster growing organisms (which your dad probably has) but they are still NASTY and dangerous. I keep a hand sanitizer on board if I get a puncture. Best of luck, keep us informed. 5th

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Red streaks up the arm are a sign of cellulitus (infection in the skin that is travelling up the veins and arteries of the arm) He needs to go to an ER or urgent care and may need a different Antibiotic or IV antibiotics. These things can get worse quickly. If you can take a pic and post it to me.

Jim

·
Registered
33 Posts
Staph and MRSA

Couldn't agree more...get a culture. Staph (a nasty little bacteria) is prevalent in the bay. Unfortunately, there are now strains of Staph called MRSA that are highly resistant to the normally prescribed antibiotics. Only through a culture will a doctor be able to prescribe an antibiotic that correctly targets the specific strain of bacteria.....the wrong med will only be a waste of time and may further build your resistance should you need that med later down the road. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I Agree. Most cellulitus is caused by Strep or Staph. Since your Dad got an oral Antibioitc already and it is not working it may be resistant, so MRSA is a possibility. Get him to a doc real soon.

Jim

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
First and foremost I pray you dad gets better quickly and back to fishing

I agree with all the above the bacteria seems to want to travel so sooner the better he gets seen. I would be good to see a doc that has treated this before as he will already have a plan and approach. With all the drug resistant stuff I have seen for years in the hospitals and acute care it is now being seen in the public MRSA etc....

Anitbacterial creme is a good start but not the be all end all type treatment. If the creme sits for extended peroids, warm temps or is not replace it potency wears down and can actually become a nice growth media for bacteria. Need to use more hospital grade (hibiclens) in the public some scarey stuff.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
---Had This Type of Problem before quite often thru the years --

--Was it a nick, or a punchure from a fin or spine ? ---Dorsal or Fins many times break off a Short Tip deep in the flesh --Some will Self remove by working to the surface pushed by pressure from surrounding Pus ---Its the Deep piece that REMAINS, deep causing swelling Etc. A Dr. must Find & remove this partial piece to get proper healing ---Much like a Treated Wood splinter , or metal Chip it causes grief & pain, until it is located & Removed

1 - 20 of 34 Posts