Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the navy currently stationed on on board a DDG and we're on a seven month deployment. We should get a couple of fish calls in while were floating around between Pirate hunts......But we are supposed to go to Seychelles within the next 4-5 months and was wondering if anyone has any advice or points of contact that they are willing to share with a sailor. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
What great luck! I have seen quite a bit on the fishing there. Almost virgin territory from what I've seen. Read some things about the great Bonefishing and Giant Travally. I don't know any contact info but you can check the internet, Google. I was able to find a few sites for info. Good luck, I wouldn't mind some fishing in the Indian Ocean myself.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
GT"S and lots fo reefs. DOnt forget tuna. From what ive watched most guys bring heavy gear rigged with big poppers with XXXX grade trebles. Dont even bother tryin unless you have braid

·
Registered
239 Posts
flycastaways is one outfit that ran trips out there. but i think most operations have shut down due to pirate activities (one of their charters was kidnapped and held for ransom i believe) Let us know when you guys have cleared the area becasue these islands are definately on my bucket list.

tackle reccomendations:

jigging rod: 400gram reel with 20lbs of drag minimum and 400yds of 80lb braid.
popping rod: 60-80lb rating with reel 25lbs max drag and 350 yards of 100lb braid.
assorted jigs and poppers

those two should handle the GT's and dogtooth tunas in that area.

scale things down for inshore bones and smaller jacks.

last but not least: a big duffel bag you can put me in so i can go too!!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you guys for the info...I'll most take lots of pics and post them and a report. It's a few months away but you know it's never to early to start planning.....

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
I fished based out of the island of Alphose back in 2001. We were based on that island and every day too a 45 min ride in some big water to the flats where all the smaller boats were located. We stayed there all day. I was going to go back but then the war broke out and when that settled down enough that we felt comfortable we could go there again we got word that pirates had been showing up on some of the islands where we were going to fish. Given the remote seclusion I/we figured we ought to wait until the pirate situation settled down. I heard some not so good stories and had one friend from the US narrowly escape.

As for the fishing, I'd suggest it is probably the best of anywhere I have been in the entire world. The tides were insane, 6ft. We would walk out on dry sand and on the way back it would be up to my neck, literally. You could see waves of fish coming across the flats, first the bait, then the milk fish, then the sharks and then the bones. You could watch the wave of them coming over the flats. I had one of the scariest things in the world happen to me there, the lemon sharks are big, well big to me 5-6ft and its so wild and remote that they simply swim around you and hang out, sometimes they would bump your leg. At first a little unnerving, but you get used it it. One day we were fishing a hug school of bonefish and catching one after the other. The tide was coming in and already up to my waist and the guides took off to go get the boats because they were about a mile away from where we had to leave the boat because of where the water edge was at the time. As I was fishing I saw a rather large shark mulling around the outside of the school and making its way around us. I thought it was just a large lemon shark and paid no attention. We fished that school of bones for about two hours with the shark right there. As the guides came back with the boats they isolated the shark and started driving around it. One guy grabbed his rod and started running to the boat thinking that the guides were stirring up some Giant Trevally and he was going to be the first to hook up. As soon as the guy got with in hearing distance we saw him make a 180 and run like hell. I looked and wondered what was going on. The fishing was so good I did not care so I kept fishing. About 10 minutes late the other guide shows up with the other flats boat and says, "Get in now man", I said, "No way man, this fishing is too good to leave.". He replies, "You have been wading with a 14ft tiger shark for two hours, your luck is going to run out eventually". You can imagine how fast I climbed in the boat and imagine ho fast my heart went racing when I realized that I had been wading with probably the most dangerous shark in the world in the middle of the Indian Ocean an hour and a half by small plane to any real civiliaation and even that was about 1300 miles off the coast of Africa, in another words had I or anyone been bitten we were dead.

You catch everything there, bone fish, giant and blue trevally, tuna, marlin and some fish I do not even know what they were. The only other place that I have been that even remotely comes close to that sort of fishing is Alaska. But I'd suggest the Seychelles is the best sight fishing in the world. It's so remote and unharmed my direct human contact that it's incredible. I'll be back for sure.

I will check with some contacts for you, let me know what area you will be. If you are going to be in the capital you can catch a plane to one of the outer islands.

Here are some pics from the trip of the sorts of things you can expect. I have hours of HD video I will have to dig up some day:

Aerial shot of one of the islands

Typical boenfish. They are a different species then what we have in the Bahamas, thicker. They are all big there. I saw 20lbers in the surf, but we could not land them because of the sharks.

When the tide is high you fish mini coral heads where it drops off to 50ft or more. The bones are on top of the heads. It makes for some fun fishing.

Another bonefish

My friend Gene was one of the first anglers in the Seychelles Islands to land a milkfish on the fly, at least in this Island area. The fish ate right in front of me and jumped like a mad tarpon. It was cool!

We called this area Candyland, when the tide was right there would be huge schools of bonefish in this area for hours. The three of us are hooked up, a forth guy who was with us just had one broken off as he was coming to get in the picture. Great fun stuff.

There are more photos in my Fishing the Seychelles Islands photo album in my Tidal Fish profile. Brandon's Fishing the Seychelles Islands Fishing Pictures

PS Bring lots of sunscreen, long pants and shirts. It's hot as all get out, the sun is super strong and will fry you. I believe the islands are just 4 degrees south of the equator depending on what island you are on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Brandon, the word I got is that we are going to be there after the first of the year. Any info or contacts that you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get MWR on the ship to help out with some of the cost. Some of the sailors don't realize what kind of chance this is for a opportunity to fish in some of the richest fishing waters in the world. I have tried to research some charter companies and with our internet connection up and down daily it is a task in it's self. I will have four free days to fish so I plan on making the best of it. With any luck I'll have some pictures to share.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was there last Christmas and six of us went out on a local charter. Caught lots of Bonita, a few schoolie Mahi Mahi, Bluerunners(?). The boat supplies the tackle and lunch, which was pretty good. Bring a water proof camera as it rains frequently, but lots of good scenery. Here is the info for Gerry's Fishing Charters. PO Box 491, Victoria, Mahé
Tel : +248 71 38 39 / 52 65 67 / 78 36 01 / 41 37 87
Fax : +248 24 76 81
Email : [email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts