Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in dire need of a repair shop that would consult with me on a problem that has shown up on my wood boat. I own a 1965 Sportcraft mahogany plywood runabout. I stripped her down and refinished her with West Systems epoxies and the best finishes that I could get , ( Cetol clear on the topside & linear polyurethane on the sides ). My problem just showed up this year. On the bottom where the starboard side meets , a crack has developed that starts about 18" from the transom and extends for about 6' toward the bow. I am unsure as to the cause of this and I need to repair it before next crabbing season. I would like to find a boat yard that would help me determine the cause of this and recommend a solution for it . I plan on doing the repair myself but I would definitely pay some sort of consultation fee. I live about 1/2 hr north of Fredrick and would drive a couple hrs. if needed . If anyone has a recommendation you can post a reply here or send it to my work email which is [email protected] . Thanks in advance for your help .

Jon Priest

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Is it plywood checking? ? ?

There is a boat building forum on this board. Post a few pictures on that board along with teh question. Some of the guys that post there are from that area and may know of some good shops.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
If I am reading the description of the problem correectly, the crack is in the joint between the side and the bottom?

If so, perhaps it is a stress crack.

If the boat sat for a while unused and then was refinished and it was used again it could just be the boat "settling in". Comparable to a new house that devlops cracks in the drywall joints, block etc.....

Is this crack just in the polyurethane/ epoxy or does it appear to be a physical separation in the wood. If it only looks like it's in the poly, it is probably from the wood seam pushing against it as the boat flexes.

I don't know what the inside looks like, but you could possible sand that joint down from the inside, build a fillet, add some glass (dries clear when epoxy soaked) and then recoat with epoxy. Look at this website Bateau.com - boat plans on line since 1993, they have a fiberglass that dries clear when soaked with epoxy so that you can't even tell it is there. If you can't find it let me know. It is probably in the section dedicated to fiberglass.

You could tape the outside seam as well.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts