Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in dire need of a repair shop that would consult with me on a problem that has shown up this year . I own a 1965 Sportcraft mahogany plywood runabout . I stripped her down and refinished her with West Systems epoxies and the best finishes that I could get , ( Cetol on the topside & linear polyurethane on the sides ). On the bottom where the starboard side meets , a crack has developed that starts about 18" from the transom and extends about 6' toward the bow. It follows the seam along the chine. I am unsure as to the cause but I need to repair it before next boating season. I would like to find a boat yard that would be willing to consult with me to determine the cause and to develop a plan of correction . I plan to do the repair myself but I am fully aware that I would need to pay a consultation fee . I live about 1/2 hr. north of Fredrick , MD and would drive a couple hrs. if need be . If any Chesapeake Bay boaters know of a boat yard that would be willing to provide consultation services you can either post a reply here or send it to my work email which is [email protected] . Thank you , in advance , for your help .

Jon Priest

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Sorry I can't help you with a local repair shop as I am down in SE Virginia but, can you post pictures of the crack and describe it a little better?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have no personal experience with such a repair shop, but one place that comes to mind is Cutts and Case in Oxford. Home. It might be worth at least a phone call to them. They've been around forever and might be able to point you in the right direction, or suggest someone else who can.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
From your descpription it saounds as if these may just be stress cracks as a result of the wood flexing. Is the gunwale and the sole tied togther with fiberglass, a fillet or blocks to keep them from flexing away from one another? If not you may be able to add them yourself since you already redid everything to begin with. You would have to grind to bare wood, add the fillet and then tape the seam with glass. Even on the outside there is new fiberglass that when soaked with epoxy becomes transparent and you never know it is there. This would help with the flex.

Chris

1 - 4 of 4 Posts