Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A note from Brandon made me think about asking for help to make sure my home made rocket laucher made at the end of last year's season will work. Appreciate any insights.

Let me describe the mounting issue:

Question deals with pole mounting of the four rod launcher. Have a table recess mount in the floor for an aluminum table support . The table top is large and fairly heavy and holds the table well.

The launcher has a dublicate aluminum bracket mounted underneath that secures the top of the pole.

Have also made a three level pedstal base that is 2 1/4" thick, about 20 inches long and 7 inches wide. Made the base unit to run from bow to stern with the drilled out receiver located about six inches from the front. The pedstal base receiver was drilled to take a PVC from the top of the base mount through the pedstal to the bottom of the launcher.

I did not drill mounting holes for the pedstal into the fiberglass floor.

I did put four poles in the unit and tested on the Potomac . Everything seemed tight. Did not lose a pole or launcher or bounce the unit out of the mounting.

I have thought about an additional mounting brace from the launcher up against the inside transom to further brace the unit.

Here's the question: will the mounting described hold the launcher in the bay? Never caught a rockfish trolling from my boat, never have trolled my boat in the Cheasapeake, the boat is 26' cabin not designed for fishing. And, not made for rod holders to be mounted across the transom.

Appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.

Dick

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I think I understand, but "a picture is worth a thousand words". We could all understand your description better with some pics also.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Here's the question: will the mounting described hold the launcher in the bay? Never caught a rockfish trolling from my boat, never have trolled my boat in the Cheasapeake, the boat is 26' cabin not designed for fishing. And, not made for rod holders to be mounted across the transom.

Appreciate your thoughts and wisdom.

Dick
The only way I see it not holding is if you have the drag locked down on all four reels.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Keep your drags light and you'll be fine. I keep mine really light anyways, just make sure whoever grabs the rod at a strike knows how to hold the spool with their thumb to set the hook, then you can tighten the drags for the fight.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recommendations.

Appreciate the thoughts shared.

Regret I do not have pictures right now. First chance I get I'll get some pictures and post them. Probably won't have the boat out till the end of the month.

The Rocket Launcher looks good. Oak stained and varnished. Chrome holders. Put it on the boat late in October and only got to do some light testing.

Really like the idea of the light drag. I may be a veteran member but I'm still just learning like a lot of others.

Will keep you updated.

Dick

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Do like the offshore crowd and make up safety lines. 1 clip goes on the rod, the other to a stationary cleat. A bent butt in a rod holder at 6kts attached to a #8 old salty puts about 25lbs of drag on reel, enough to make the line sing. These always get a safety in case of any sort of failure be it the rod holder or the rod jumping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts