Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out fishing boat was running fine and then it started to run funky then died. Started back up and will idle but when I go in gear it dies. If I have someone pump the primer and I go in gear it will go but it sounds like the motor is just not getting the gas. Should I change the fuel filters and the fuel line from the filter to the plug in the motor?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the Fuel filters are all changed out an no change at all. Still running like ****. Had a hell of a time getting it to prime. I think the fuel pump is jacked because the ball will not get hard at all when I am priming to the motor. So I think somewhere is just letting fuel go through.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
If the ball isn't getting firm the the check valve in the ball is bad or there's a leaking needle valve in one or more of the carbs. Pull the spark plugs and look for the wet one(s) to see if a carb is the problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
In addition to the above advice, also check the water separator. When was it replaced? If it is clogged/not flowing it can inhibit fuel flow.
Also check for any 'loose' connections/fitting in the fuel lines EVERYWHERE between the fuel tank and the fuel bulb/ball. Also on the fuel lines between the bulb and the fuel pump/carburetor. A loose connection/worn fuel line will let air in the line which will keep you from keeping the ball tight. Fuel bulbs can go bad pretty quickly it seems. I had to replace the same one twice this year. I also replaced the fuel lines between the bulb and the carburetor and between that and the bulb that fixed my fuel flow issue.

·
Registered
190 Posts
if you have a built in gas tank, make sure you are getting good fuel supply...there is a tube that goes from the connection on theta of the tank to the bottom, that could be stopped up, if all is good there, most likely carbs are stopped up

·
Registered
16 Posts
Could you have a fuel vacuum problem whether it's a built in tank or portable. I have seen it many times the motor will start run for a bit then die out due to a plugged breather causing the fuel to vacuum back to the tank. Be an easy fix if that's the case. If you think this could be a possibility run the boat with the gas cap a bit loose ( not sealed ) if you can do so and if it runs good with no problem that's your problem. The other give away is if your primer ball flattens itself after the motor has been running for a bit.

One other thing it could be is the location of your primer ball is it should be close to your outboard and be in a position that helps the valve work more efficiently. My twin 150 Optimaxs were very temperamental with location of primer ball and the way it lay. My 300 Yami Offshore is sweet don't miss my mercs starts like a car everyday. Always was a 2 stroke merc advocate until running the 4 stroke yami, if you can swing it a 4 stroke yami you will save hair loss, stress lines, trial and error repairs that cause one to use every fould word in the book lol :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts