Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What length is best for bait gathering in the James. I only need to catch 8-12 shad for fishing bait. Also what size net openings in the netting is best for catching Gizzard Shad in the tidal James near Hopewell. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
if thats all the bait you need, why not use a cast net instead of all the hassle of setting out a gill net and killing 100's of fish to get 10 ? or you can buy a dozen- they are cheaper than a 6-pack or a pack of smokes.....or close to a gallon of gas.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
50 feet is all you need. Read the regs for mesh size legalities. There are lots of rules. Mesh size (varies by time of year), setbacks and off limit locations, poles, floats, ID on net, yada, yada, yada. It is a mess to read and remember.

Mine is 2"x2" mesh, which I found out is illegal most times. Get a smaller mesh. Something just under the 2x2 (get 1.5 or 1.75" mesh). With mine, gizzards get to far into the net, past the gills and they can be a pain to get them out.

Main thing, is do not leave the net. Let it out and hold the lead rope. You will feel the fish hitting the net. If they are there, you get them quick. When you feel a couple of thumps, pull it. More fish might get in it while you are pulling it. As long as you don't leave it, and keep a feel on it, you won't get more fish than you can use. It is an easy learning curve. And if you get too much bait, stop at the next boat or two and give it away. That makes folks very happy and nothing goes to waste. They don't die right away, so once you have enough, toss them back as long as they are kicking.

Oh yea, get a net made of mono not nylon. And get the heaviest mono they have for that size net.

Good luck,

Dayton

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ranger is correct. just check the net often so there is no fish loss. I leave mine out no longer than 10 minutes. any more than that is a waste. If ya dont get them in 10 minutes move the net. you find them it wont take long. [smile]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I bought a net from Memphis net but the netting is too large and its the nylon stuff which is too limp and a pain to set. I am going sell it on ebay. I will buy another made of Mono and smaller mesh. I'm no good at throwing a cast net when its cold. I am constantly fearful I will lose my balance and fall out the boat while throwing the cast net.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Hey Willis, what have you been up to?

I bought both my nets from Fishnetco and have been very please with them. But, the smallest mesh they have is 2x2. Someone here has a link for another site that had more and smaller sizes. Anyone have that link?

Dayton

·
Registered
96 Posts
I could be mistaken but I believe that fishnetco will custom make mesh sizes less than 2" square. Just need to tell them what you need.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey Whats up Dayton, havent visited this site in a while. Been hunting more than fishing lately but plan on getting out this Sunday.

I find that fishnetco is very flexible on what you can buy from them and a 50 ft. net is only about $37.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts