Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's no question that if I want to run with you guys I have to get on board with the "jigs". Didn't have a chance last year to do it but I 'm starting to pick up things for next spring. I did a search before posting and advise bounces all over. With them costing $15.00 a piece like everyone, I would prefer to buy the better choices.

For fishing out of OI if you had to pick a few stand by jigs which would it be?

Brand? and why?

weight?

color?

And any suggestions on who has them at the best price?

Thanks guys and Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
864 Posts
You didn't mention what species your chasing.

If your after pelagics, a diamond jig is a good all around jig. My go-to jigs are a flatside in pink or pink/white, white, squid glow or a Blue mackeral for tuna or Dolphin.

If I'm bottom fishing for tiles or BSB I'll use a Lucanus in orange/white or Chart./white or a flatside in White or Chart./white.

Weight will depend on the depth of the bite, usually the lighter the better. Just enough weight to hold your jig in the zone.

·
Premium Member
1,804 Posts
Guys were banging the tuna well in OI on the williamson benthos jigs in pearl and pink/blue. If you go to eangler.com they have the best price i have found...between 5 and $8. I ordered half a dozen last week and arrived a couple days later.

·
Registered
335 Posts
i like pink, pink blue, white and glow.... flat sides are great for drifting and the stronger currents you face when typically fishing OI or HAT inlet.....diamond jigs are also great, just make sure to loose the treble on the back....a good jigging rod is crucial to the jigging system and to the action of the jig; consequently, its an integral part of success when vertical jigging....
the hooks are the lucanus jigs are small and need to be modified but i've heard of guys catching tunas on them with alternative hook arrangements out of hatteras...

for what its worth

cheers
carey

·
Registered
629 Posts
See if you can get someone really experienced to go out with you. I had a couple of really savvy jig fishermen with many years of experience go a few times and learned a ton regarding tackle and technique.
==============================
Jim
23' Grady White Gulfstream "Get Reel"
Ocean Pines, MD

1 - 10 of 10 Posts