Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a place in a cove just off the yeocomico, just up from lewisetta. The cove averaged 5 to 7 feet deep. I have caught striper, perch, puppy drum and croaker off my pier. Usually on small jigs with gulp paddle tails or beeetlespins. But every morning as I look out , big fish are hitting the surface all around me. It looks like they are hitting small minnows on the surface. I would love ti figure how to fish them on the surface. I have tried every top water plug I could find. I cant seem to get a strike ! Any body have an idea? Usually on either side of the ebb tide. Tanks
Paul
Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
We had the same experience on our pier in the G. Wicomico. Big splashes everywhere but could never identify the fish or get a bite. We had someone suggest they were carp, did not believe them at all but they were very confident. Threw a can of corn out and put a piece on a small hook and sure enough caught a carp.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a place in a cove just off the yeocomico, just up from lewisetta. The cove averaged 5 to 7 feet deep. I have caught striper, perch, puppy drum and croaker off my pier. Usually on small jigs with gulp paddle tails or beeetlespins. But every morning as I look out , big fish are hitting the surface all around me. It looks like they are hitting small minnows on the surface. I would love ti figure how to fish them on the surface. I have tried every top water plug I could find. I cant seem to get a strike ! Any body have an idea? Usually on either side of the ebb tide. Tanks
Paul
Thanks
We had the same experience on our pier in the G. Wicomico. Big splashes everywhere but could never identify the fish or get a bite. We had someone suggest they were carp, did not believe them at all but they were very confident. Threw a can of corn out and put a piece on a small hook and sure enough caught a carp. View attachment 279158
I also had the same thing happen in our creek off of the Great Wicomico a couple of weeks ago. From the house looking down at the pier it looked like a striper feeding frenzy. There were minnows all over. I later tried some top water spooks but no luck. I have been coming to this river for a couple of years now and I am just completing a house where I will be spending a lot more time there.
In general I have had poor success in fishing overall. I have caught a couple of keeper stripers in the winter and a fair amount on non keepers. I have caught some trout but not a lot. I use artificial crank baits and gulp minnows. I was out this past Sunday and the wife used frozen shrimp while I tried other assortments and the whole day we got nothing except she caught what I believe was one snakehead. We fished from Blackwell creek to the bay and back. Frustrating! If any body would be willing to share some tips on trout fishing as well as where to go to take the grand kids to a nice spot to catch some croakers and spot and when they will start to come in I would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was on the Great Wicomico two days ago at a place near Mila Point (sp?) and saw what I thought was redfish tailing in the shallows. Threw stuff at them for 45 minutes finally got close enough after being frustrated and saw they were actually cow nose rays spawning. It was in an Oyster bed in about 2-6 feet of water. Could have sworn they were good fish and just couldn't figure out why they wouldn't hit any top waters!! Other than that we fished about four hours over two days and caught 2 rockfish about 16-18", about a dozen spot and a king william perch. My first time fishing and didn't really know what I was doing - just drifting over likely looking oyster beds with bloodworm bites on two hook bottom rig. Would love to hear how/where to find spot and croaker as well.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts