Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year was my first with my own boat,and I fished the Rap several times. Had luck out of Locklies Creek with Croaker and spot, and some luck around the Corrataman for the same and a few Puppy Drum. Love to catch the flatfish and wasn't confident enough to spend much time at it. Is the area aroung Green 8 and the towls point bar a good flounder spot working those drop offs to deep water on the falling tide and the flats on a rising tide? Would really love to spend more time with the flatties around that area as I have a friend who has a place right on the point that I can use any time I'd like. It would be nice to find them that close to home. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a place close by and am interested in the answer to your question.

I have read in other posts about flounder being caught just below Whitesone bridge on the north side

There is a sharp drop off from 3 to 40 or 50 feet where I tried for a short time one day..tried typical bottom rig..not a great flounder setup

I did see several others drifting (i am assuming) for flounder

Cya out there

Bill

·
Registered
421 Posts
Seems the drop offs are the key to the flounder in the Rapp (at least for me), and though I haven't fished Towles Pt for them, looks like a fine spot. Last year I didn't put a lot of effort into the flounder, but still managed to catch several keepers up to 20" between Urbana and the river's mouth, so they should be there.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Drop off just east of the Bridge on Whitestone side is good, so is the drop offs around number 7 channel marker on the Deltaville side. When I fish the river I normally just use a double drop bottom rig and dont bother with the fancy flounder rigs till I go to the Bay. Early in the year around april or so I just use squid strips with nothing else then as the water gets warmer squid with a minnow produces better. I know there are some nice lumps up by Towles Point but I have never tried for flounder there. Each year when we troll through there for rockfish I mention that we should return in the summer but always forget. Maybe this year.

--John

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
Flounders in the Rap

I've had some luck around Red 8 (N37 40.168 W76 32.798) on the Rap. That's just above Towles Point. There're some good drop offs there from 8' down to about 40' right next to the bouey. Just below the bouey seemed to work best for me. (N37 40.007 W76 32.698)

I'm NOT an expert. I've caught plenty of flounders there and missed even more none of them were keepers. Virginia regulations are getting tougher for flounders so it's not gonna get easier to catch a keeper in the river.

I think I found a wreck (or some kind of structure) near Towles Point at the end of last year that I'm dying to try. I don't have those coordinates with me but I'll share them before too long.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've caught flounder on the drop-offs near buoy #8. Also try the drop-offs on the North side of the river downriver. Near the bridge, try the point and drop-off on the North side - goes from being able to see crabs on the bottom to about 50' in a matter of seconds on a drift. I sometimes cast bucktails tipped with squid and bounce them into deeper water - catch a lot of bigger croaker that way, too. Try the Butler's Rock buoy and drop-off further downriver. I think the drop-off is key. - doesn't matter if it drops from 2' - 10' or 30' to 70' as long as there is a drop-off.
T

·
Registered
561 Posts
seems to be some confusion. up river from the bridge is a red #8 (still showing as #6 on my old chart) off Towles Point on the north side. Down river from the bridge is red #8R which is off Mosquito Point

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
8 vs 8R

I don't know why there's an 8 and an 8R... That's never made any sense to me so if someone can explain that please fill us all in!

Red #8 is just up river from Towles Point at N37 40.168 W76 32.798

Red #6 is right at Towles Point on the northern shore of the Corrotoman River at N37 38.051 W76 30.290

Red #8R is right at Mosquito Point inside the mouth of the Rappahannock at N37 36.094 W76 21.278

The next two markers on the way out of the river are 6R and 2R... What happened to 4 and what is the meaning of the "R"? Does it have something to do with which side of the bridge you're on? :helpsmilie:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
My guess would be that the "R" channel markers are the Rappahannock channel coming in from the bay starting out at "1R" in to the bridge. So the "R" is mainly to designate what river you are going into. Kind of like the first channel marker for the York is "YR1" Just my guess, could be wrong

--John

·
Registered
35 Posts
towles point

hey, I've been fishing towles point for about 6 years, great spot, the flatties we have caught usually, are between the bell bouy and towles point, drifting along a drop off between the bell bouy and the crab pots, 16-18 feet of water, we have had luck there every year, usually later in the season....the best drift is parallel to the point.....the largest croaker and spot have been caught in the same area.....my son caught a nice striper there bottom fishing....good luck, capn paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.