Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’ve always known winning the war on terror would be difficult. But hearing critics such as Rep. John Murtha, D-Pa., claim that “we’re making no progress at all” in Iraq, you’d think it was impossible. Fortunately, the pessimists are wrong.

There’s been some bad news, to be sure. It is war, after all. More than 2,000 U.S. troops have died, and some areas remain far from secure. But we’re making some serious progress. And the Iraqis know it, judging by the two-thirds who have been telling pollsters that they’re better off now than they were under Saddam Hussein’s dictatorship.

Take, for example, how Iraqi army and security forces have grown from just one operational battalion in July 2004 to more than 120 today. More than 200,000 trained Iraqis now play an active role in root­ing out insurgents.

Are they being effective? The Iraqi peo­ple apparently think so, considering the growing number of intelligence tips they’ve been passing along. In March 2005, Iraqi and coalition forces received 483 intelligence tips from Iraqi citizens, according to Heritage Foundation Middle East expert James Phillips. This figure rose to 3,300 in August and more than 4,700 in September.

So there’s reason for optimism, even as we endure the setbacks, in Iraq and elsewhere, that inevitably will occur before we win this war.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice made this point during a Dec. 13 address at The Heritage Foundation.

She looked back at the world of the late 1940s, when the tide of history seemed to be running against the United States. “Whether it was the communists winning large minorities in France and Italy in 1946, or in 1947 the Greek civil war and the tensions and the strife in Turkey, or in 1948 Germany permanently divided in the Berlin events, or in 1948 the Czechoslovak coup, or in 1949 the Soviet Union exploding a nuclear weapon five years ahead of schedule and the Chinese communists winning their civil war, those weren’t minor setbacks,” Secretary Rice said, “Those were huge strategic defeats.”

Yet, she noted, the West pulled together behind American leadership and built a lasting peace: “It was not inevitable that Japan was going to emerge as a free, democratic state and an ally of the United States after what we had suffered in Pearl Harbor and in the Pacific. Nothing was inevitable about any of this, and yet now it seems inevitable.”

The same is true in Iraq today. It wasn’t inevitable that 8.5 million Iraqis would vote last January. It wasn’t inevitable that Iraqis could write their own democratic constitution, or that almost 10 million would vote in the October referendum on whether to approve that constitution. And it wasn’t inevitable that the minority Sunnis would set aside violence and join the political process for the Dec. 15 nationwide vote.

And under American leadership, all these happened.

By taking out Saddam and the Taliban in Afghanistan, we’ve sent a message to our enemies: Our military is ready and able to remove any government that sponsors terrorism or refuses to abide by international demands.

It’s no surprise that Libya decided to surrender its weapons program. In addition, Syria has been forced to withdraw from Lebanon, giving the democracy movement in both countries a boost.

If we stay the course, Secretary Rice says, the Middle East can become “a place of peace and democracy,” and “it will be unimaginable that it could be a region that produces an ideology of hatred so great that people fly airplanes into buildings on a fine September day.” Those are big goals -- worth reaching for, no matter how difficult.

Ed Feulner is president of The Heritage Foundation (heritage.org), a Washington–based public policy research institute.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Okay, but here is the truth.

1. No strong ties between Iraq and terrorism.
2. Thus, we created a "WMD" story.
3. We wrongly invaded another country.
4. We found no WMD
5. Thus, we preach Democracy (which no one ask us to)
6. So, we stay and kill Iraqs people as well as 2200+ Americans just to save face (instead of saying Oops. Sorry. We were wrong)
7. Many "Insurgents" are just people fighting an invading nation (just as most of us would do if Iraq had come here and invaded us)

Harsh, but true.

Dayton

·
Registered
798 Posts
How about:

We made a mistake.
We owe it to the Iraqi people to help them build a stable country that won't it implode into civil war.
We owe it to them, the middle east, the world to do the best we can and not give up.

No matter what anyone thinks, or how guilty we may feel about our choices.

Harsh, but true.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
[q]Many "Insurgents" are just people fighting an invading nation (just as most of us would do if Iraq had come here and invaded us)

[/q]

Not old Jimmy he's give up defending his homeland faster then a frenchman.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
[Q]fishfool originally wrote:
How about:

We made a mistake.
We owe it to the Iraqi people to help them build a stable country that won't it implode into civil war.
We owe it to them, the middle east, the world to do the best we can and not give up.

No matter what anyone thinks, or how guilty we may feel about our choices.

Harsh, but true.
[/Q]

You are one twisted dude thinking a single American life is expendable because we "owe" someone a stable country? Where do you come up with this ****???

Heck how about I join your band wagon and it's your life I so willingly give up? I don't know you and I wouldn't do it... how can you?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Just like I owe it to your sister to show her a good time when she crawls through my window.

I've already made the mistake of letting her know where I live. She's unstable, and can't take the rejection. So, even though I may have gotten myself into something that is taxing my time and patience, I care enough about her to show her a good time until she finds some stability and can stand on her own emotionally. She will hopefully grow into a productive, mature happy person, and wont go back to another abusive guy like Shiek Mahbooty.

[grin]

·
Registered
72 Posts
So much sheit to refute so little time...

[q] Take, for example, how Iraqi army and security forces have grown from just one operational battalion in July 2004 to more than 120 today.[/q]

From one to 120 in just a few months, astounding...

Posted 9/29/2005

U.S. general says Iraq has one combat-ready battalion

WASHINGTON (AP) - The number of Iraqi battalions capable of combat without U.S. support has dropped from three to one, the top American commander in Iraq told Congress Thursday, prompting Republicans to question whether U.S. troops will be able to withdraw next year.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
[Q]fishfool originally wrote:
Just like I owe it to your sister to show her a good time when she crawls through my window.

I've already made the mistake of letting her know where I live. She's unstable, and can't take the rejection. So, even though I may have gotten myself into something that is taxing my time and patience, I care enough about her to show her a good time until she finds some stability and can stand on her own emotionally. She will hopefully grow into a productive, mature happy person, and wont go back to another guy like Shiek Mahbooty.

[grin]
[/Q]

Fistfool... I am your Uncle.

Remember?

Now stop screwing your mother.... it's a sin.

·
Registered
798 Posts
No, your mamma just told you that. Youll figure it all out one day.

CG at least you can be honest. We don't owe them anything. We are there wether we like it or not now. The question is how to help the Iraqis create a stable government so we can leave.

Just like slugs sister. I just want her to move on and be happy...The neighbors all laugh, but it's better than having her causing trouble...I see improvement, so I think that she'll be better off with a little more time under her belt. She's just not ready to be dumped right now.

Nice article, Jim. I didnt mean to hijack the thread.

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Commercial Subscriber
10,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No problem fishfool, ya know I had the same problem with CSLUGS Mom AND Sister. I feel your pain.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Piss and moan. Piss and moan. Complain and criticize. Defend scoundrels and raise hell with patriots. In a nutshell, that pretty much sums up the lefty, pinko libs!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
i love that "better to fight 'em there than here" mentality...did you chickenhawks know that the US border patrol apprehends around 65,000 arabic people annually, and the number is growing every year? thanks to your great "conservative " president & congress, nothing is being done to close the 1800 mile gaping hole in our national security. or how "bout the thousands of cargo containers that come in on ships uninspected every day in oakland, ca, & even baltimore? god only knows how much nastiness you package in one of those things with a timed detonation..for all you know, the next "9/11" terrorists are already here, fresh across the border from mexico, preparing their attack. given femas track record, do you really believe the CIA or NSA is really any more competent with a political crony at the helm? better stock up on MRE"s and bottled water cuz your'e gonna be on your own...

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Heritage Foundation is a conservative think tank. Not a reliable source for unbiased opinion but a good one for the conservative only point of view.

·
Registered
23 Posts
[Q]shoregirl originally wrote:
The Heritage Foundation is a conservative think tank. Not a reliable source for unbiased opinion but a good one for the conservative only point of view.
[/Q]

I couldn't agree more. I get my unbiased opinion from the the New York Times, CNN and the Washington Post

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
[Q]stripstrike originally wrote:
i love that "better to fight 'em there than here" mentality...did you chickenhawks know that the US border patrol apprehends around 65,000 arabic people annually, and the number is growing every year? thanks to your great "conservative " president & congress, nothing is being done to close the 1800 mile gaping hole in our national security. or how "bout the thousands of cargo containers that come in on ships uninspected every day in oakland, ca, & even baltimore? god only knows how much nastiness you package in one of those things with a timed detonation..for all you know, the next "9/11" terrorists are already here, fresh across the border from mexico, preparing their attack. given femas track record, do you really believe the CIA or NSA is really any more competent with a political crony at the helm? better stock up on MRE"s and bottled water cuz your'e gonna be on your own...
[/Q]
Do you think your past liberal Presidents did any better. Ever heard of the Muriel Boat Lift?

·
Registered
798 Posts
No. Castro decided he would empty a few prison's worth of the worst prisoners he could find.

Given the mexican govornments' demands, I wouldnt be surprised if there were social workers encouraging young troubled youth to come here to make their way, just like a school counseler would encourage a trouble kid to join the military here.

He may also be talking about the overall strain on south Florida's plice, hospitals, Etc. into the early eighties.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts