Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lived on pax my whole life so familiar with it but onky caught some catfish a few times. I'm just a once in awhile fisher. I love it and would live to get some tips what's running good apps etc. I live in southern MD south of annapolis. In calvert if anyone is familiar. Tips are very much welcomed!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've lived on pax my whole life so familiar with it but onky caught some catfish a few times. I'm just a once in awhile fisher. I love it and would live to get some tips what's running good apps etc. I live in southern MD south of annapolis. In calvert if anyone is familiar. Tips are very much welcomed!
Do you have a boats? Spot are biting very good around the bridge in 40 feet, at the mouth of chuck hold creek in about 30 feet of water for spot and perch. Drum Point is another location by the buoy. If you have a decent chart plotter you can try to fish the wrecks that are marked on the chart. Lenny Rudow published serval books on fishing the bay and River.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
There are no good apps I am aware of.

Without a boat you should consider the fishing pier at Solomons. Spot and white perch are most abundant, and also some stripers and blue crabs and possibly other species at times.

Here is some information on MD boating and water access sites:

Headboats and charters are another option, plus rental boats. Also local paddlesport outfitters.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I have a pier in the lower end of the pax 5 milrs from waysons corner only catch catfish though. Thanks guys appreciate the info! Any more tips are always appreciated
Fish early and late in the day and at night. Placing a light over the water on the deep end of the pier will pull in white perch and stripers at night. Small lures like shad darts and beetle spin type baits and other small spinners and spinnerbaits are great lures for that, along with small jigheads and plastic tails or gulp baits.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have a pier in the lower end of the pax 5 milrs from waysons corner only catch catfish though.
If you're 5 miles south of Waysons, you're not in lower Pax.

Plenty of perch, cats, carp, up Waysons area , plus snakeheads, stripers/ yp/ hickory shad seasonally.

You can still hit Solomon's pier in 35 min or so.

I used to live and fish Lower Marlboro a long time ago. Mostly cats, channels and whites back then, but caught WP, stripers, sunfish, and a legal red drum one very dry year.
Pumpkinseed same spot, same day!
Not sure if you can still park and fish there, expect you can as I see people on the landing most times I go upriver.

Good luck!

·
Registered
261 Posts
You are in the upper patuxent. The lower is nearest to the Bay. Solomons, Lusby, Cuckold creek areas are lower. Mid patuxent would be Benedict bridge. North of that is considered upper patuxent. Huntingtown, Lower Marlboro, Dunkirk, etc is all upper patuxent.

·
Registered
441 Posts
What is thst considered then if it's not lower chesapeake. And I live about 8 miles from lower Marlboro pier still a community dock.
You said lower end of Pax, not bay.
I USED to fish that section a lot;
30+ years ago.
Now down near mouth and/ or Potomac.
Hope to hit Benedict area this week or next.
Haven't fished it a lot since blue cat explosion.
Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Planning on putting in at Benedict tomorrow. Probably putter around the bridge for a while for a few crabs and some bait then trolling to Solomons and back stopping to bottom fish occasionally.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Planning on putting in at Benedict tomorrow. Probably putter around the bridge for a while for a few crabs and some bait then trolling to Solomons and back stopping to bottom fish occasionally.
I have caught crabs in that area up into the third week of October. But have also seen them downriver by late September. Usually 2 nights in the 40s gets them moving down.
Still have 40# necks so was thinking about trying again, but most likely done.

Good luck!

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
1,370 Posts
I have caught crabs in that area up into the third week of October. But have also seen them downriver by late September. Usually 2 nights in the 40s gets them moving down.
Still have 40# necks so was thinking about trying again, but most likely done.

Good luck!
I'll see what comes to the dock and where the commercial guys have their traps tomorrow. Last week they were 10-15' last weekend. Once they get out around 20' it's just about over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts