Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I promised Brandon that I would behave and not post on this site. But you attacked a good friend of mine. I take issue with everything you said about him. I dont know you and you dont me, I guarantee you dont know the person you attacked, except maybe what he posts. I worked over 30 years in the enforcement of water pollution regs in the Bay & Harbor, meeting with Mayors, Governors, Comptrollers, Utility Heads, Operators, CBF Biologists, just about anybody and anyone who had something to do with the Bay. I never met anyone, I mean anyone who cared about the Bay as much as Norm. He is very opinionated about what he believes, but he is relentless in the pursuit of the causes of mycobacteriosis, also believing chumming in dead zones is weakening the fish's immune system. He has sued and spent much of his own money in this pursuit. Will he win? No. However, what he brings to the table is the realization and a strong voice that pollution is killing off the largest estuary in the US and no one or no thing can stop it.
Norm very rarely if at all posts about his fishing exploits, however, he has numerous IGFA world records to back up his fishing prowess. I still think he holds the all time seatrout world record on fly, like over 14 pounds.

Before you attack him for his desire to improve water quality, why not meet him, get to know him. There is nothing in his nature that would want to divide fishermen or to be devisive. His best friend is Lefty Kreh, past outdoor editor of the Sunpaper, books, videos espn etc etc. Norm's been on ESPN himself and been the topic of many articles etc. He's taken much heat from his stance on chumming from friends and colleagues. Ive fished many times with chummers, bait guys, most dont believe in his chumming stance, but, all that know him respect him. Ive known many good fishermen, some currently are on the redfish, FLW, OH Boy Oberto & BASS tours here in Fl but none have the passion for both fishing and a desire to improve the eco system in which we fish. I dont agree with Norm about everything but I admire his tenacity to go after what he believes. Norm will be a feature presenter with Flip Pallot, and others for a CCA lifetime achievement for Lefty in Nov. I wish I could be there, but I fish as well. Now if you want to know about water quality and issues which affect the bay Id be happy to talk to you about them. If you dont, then you will be in the same category that many people that fish find themself. I promise you that fishing wont really improve until water quality improves, and fisheries management cares more about fishermen then making a few happy with over capitalization. BTW Ive fished the Bay since the 50s when my father took me out with my first rod. I have no fish to fry here, I gave at the office for many years, but I will defend my friends.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Did I attack him or question him? Norm can answer for himself… but chooses not to.

Drop all the TV names you want, I don’t care, they are just fisherman, no better than you or me.

Why not try to understand the questions I pose for Norm rather that acting as his protector.

Norm is a fishing guide. A man that spends a bunch of time on the water catching fish, thousands upon thousands of them each year. He pollutes the water on the bay EVERYTIME he leaves the dock, EVERYTIME. Why is that level of pollution OK. He harms/kills 10x the amount of fish your avg. weekend warrior does, why is that OK in his book. He will not answer that question.

**He damages the bay way more than once a month Joe Schmoe chumbagger ever will.**

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hedjug what have you ever done to protect the bay? I'd say telling a person to stay off the bay is an attack. Look hedjug everytime you take a pee or poo in a toilet you add to the pollution one way or the other. Evertyime you drive a car, mow your grass, use electricity you add to the pollution. Your comparison is ridiculous at best about using a motor. I use a 4 stroke, but it adds pollution. Theres a little quote he uses, the smallest deed is worth more then the greatest intent. You should be cheering someone thats out there working to improve the bay's water quality, and has spent his own money to fight mycobacteriosis. Or you can continue to work against it. One things for sure as Matt has said, something's going to happen there, if unabated, most likely the foshery will collapse as it did in the 80s.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
I never said stop fishing… go back & re-read. I said that using OB motors pollutes the **** out of the bay. Why is that OK vs chumming?

I know I hurt the poor fish when I fish, I know I pollute when I fish… So does Norm. He won’t address that issue, I can only assume the he thinks he is above it all.

What do I do… as much as I can.

I volunteer 2-3 weekends a year as a chaperone for 6-7-8th graders on 3 day educational trips with the CBF. The CBF is what it is, but at least we are teaching the kids.

I dropped an extra 20 grand on my septic system to make it more bay friendly.

I never once fertilized my lawn.

We use no/limited chemicals in the house.

We conserve water.

I don’t own a 2-stroke & I never did.

We have a drywell on the property to slow down run off.

We plant trees & shrubs to slow down run off.

We teach.

**But, I know that fishing is bad for fish & that boats pollute. So, I am not above saying that I harm the waterways & fish. Norm will not admit to that FACT. **

Yes, he has strong feelings about water quality, but he does his part to harm it as well. He will not respond to those questions. His message is, chumming is bad… but, what I do is just A-OK.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hedjug you said-
"If you dont' want to pollute the bay... then stop fishing & get off of the water.

If you want to be nice to fish... then stop fishing & get off of the water."

Norm is not a tree hugger, but a concerned citizen. My advice is to get to know him before you get on line and go on the attack. I'm glad that your doing your part to help the Bay. BTW 20K is hefty for a ST/DF even for an aerobic system which is in use in Fl. Here's some quick biochem. Fish chum eventually will degrade just like the **** you flush into the septic system. Personnally I dont have a problem with chumming in general, we do it in Fl. I am against throwing fish waste into a dead zone which is already in the throws of eco death. Have a good day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.