Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is David and have been fishing for about 2 years (newbie-style). Lived in Charlottesville, va. where I did lots of fresh water fishing and ended up finding some good spots up there. I am curious if there is some kind of chart that tells you when and where fish schools are. I live in portsmouth, va. now. I'm a boatless man and was wondering if anyone knows any good spots to fish that wouldn't require one. Thanks for any advice
:eek2:

·
Registered
610 Posts
welcome

as far as charts none that i know of, places to fish without a boat piers, surf and near bridges the lesner bridge is popular place, rudee inlet is another good place but must have saltwater license they will check.

good luck

toby

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome. There is a surf fishing board on this website, and there is another website for local suf fishing. I have fished from the beach around here most of my life until I became a boat owner 5 yrs ago.

There are countless spots to catch awesome fish nearby. There are many piers, Harrison's in Ocean View, The Seagull Pier on the CCBT, and just about any beach can be productive. The Outer Banks of NC provide world class surf fishing especially if you have a 4wd.

This board provides lots of good info on fishing. I do not post much but read daily.

Good Luck

Chris

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Welcome

Coincidence? I have a good friend and co-worker that lives in Charlottesville who tells me his fishing buddy just moved down here to the Hampton Roads area. Does Brudin ring a bell?

By the way, welcome to the board. You'll find a lot of good information along with plenty of good folk.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Piers available and some surf fising. You may wany to post with experience if you want to fish on someone's boat as HO. Share expenses ,boat claening etc.
Good luck and tight lines.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Your in puppy drum land now.....Go to west norfolk bridge and rent a little boat there at
Culpepper's boat rental...they have some tackle and bait in there....Darrel usually has some nice peelers and menhaden as he crabs the river....and Dennette will set you up on a boat....they used to have some jon boats, some 14 v-bottoms and now they have a few carolina skiffs I think they were......but you are protected there and can hit the coal piers,
slag pile by virginia chemical and the creeks all around there....Puupy drum,croaker,trout and stripers all in there....good luck

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm glad I found this site, I've been reading alot of posts and looking at fish pics. They're sweet, I'd be ashamed if I had taken pictures of some of the fish I've caught and posted them on here.

B names I fished with in cville.
I had a room mate named brendan in charlottesville, and he fished sometimes, and also a friend named brandon(who lost his only pair of glasses at the bottom of a dam) that I fished a lot with. Fishing at the lakes and rivers was a great way to spend the day.

Thanks for the welcome and all the advice, i'll keep reading the nuggets of info

·
Registered
88 Posts
welcome to the area fishstack. keep reading the threads and don't be scared to post and ask questions. there are some great fishermen here that don't mind helping you out. i have learned a lot over the past couple of years.

kendall . . . does your dad make custom rods? i have two made by a mr. kendall. nice rods and they work well.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Yes Corkscrew thats my Dad....He makes some beutiful rods....I had him make up some mojo and umbrella rods to throw in the mix now...but he can make anything you need....
And thanks for the compliment......He aslo can sell you any blanks,eyes and thread to make your own as well....
I just dropped one of my white marlin\sailfish rods off to make 2 more....so I can have my matching 6......By the way I'm Steve JR.:thumbup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Welcome. You may also want to join one of the local angler clubs to meet people and learn the area quicker. I belong to one in Chesapeake, a neighboring city, called Great Bridge Fishermen's Association. We meet the first Monday of the month. Portsmouth's Angler club is another choice close to you. Maybe one of their members will read your post and give more info on their meetings. I dont think they have had their April meeting yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts