Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Team Codfather which basically means my friend, Irwan, and I went out of HI in search of bluefin. We started with a really fat Blackfin around 240 area but we heard of BFT in the 260 area in 100 fathoms of water so we ran up there. There was a half dozen charter boats trolling with some of them hooked up. Most of them were trolling but we tried to hook them jigging but we were not successful in doing so. Later we did see bluefins breaking but they sounded when we got closer.

Since bluefin action was slow for us we ran to shallower water and battled with many usual customers including AJs, sharks, and fat albert. At one point we thought we had a nice tuna on but it was just a big shark.

All in all, a pretty nice day on the water with lots of actions, though we didn't catch a bluefin. Btw, we saw a dozen charter boats but we were the only outboards.

·
Registered
663 Posts
You'll get yours Sunny. I'm heading up to Cape Cod tomorrow to bring my Hydrasports back down to NC. Looks like Th or Fri might be fishable.

Charley

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Weather FX was all over the place, Irwan and I went down figuring on working on the boat if the weather didn't fan out, but water condition was pretty good with mostly 3-foot chops.

We were hoping there was some smaller bluefins mixed in but from the radio it sounded like there were only bigguns. So, I am wondering whether they are on the way down to Morehead City or they will stick around like last year. I would suspect that these are not the same school of BFT that we were catching earlier this year. They were more like 65" class of fish and I wonder if they could grow this big this fast.

Anyway, it was a good shake-down trip. I love jigging since we suck at trolling and it is more fun to jig anyhow especially with 2-men crew. I did have 50W trolling setups loaded with lots of 130lb braided line but I missed the screaming sound of Stellas last from earlier this year. Plus, none of the marinas had horse ballyhoos.

With this class of fish, we would have been seriously outgunned with 80lb main line on our jigging gears. It is time to pull out Tiagra 16s with harness lugs and 100lb line at minimum.

So, looking back, we should have stayed with the fish when we found the blackfin, as the bite was pretty much over when we got there. And, we also ran into the best mark of the day when I was fighting a big shark and wasting valuable fishing time. We should have recognized that it was a shark and at minimum sent another jig down to score on blackfin. Anyway, I would be first to admit that we are hackers still and we are still very much learning fishing at Hatteras. As South Koreans often say, we will get them next time!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts