Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of HI Sunday for the tuna before they disappear. Headed out 0700 and got to the 420 area around 0900 and immediately see Tuna busting and airing out after Mullet. Immediately put spread out and couldn't get a bite for 30 minutes and then all hell breaks loose Hook up with one leader breaks. 20 minutes later we hook 3 on 2 80's and 1 50 and the 50 almost got spooled so we cut our loses 1 hour later we bring in 200lb and 220lb fish over, release the smaller fish and kept our meat fish which measured out to be 72'. An hour goes by we get 2 that come tight and it is Sonny and Ricks time to reel in a fish lost one after 3 minutes and the other after 20 minute fight this sucks. Getting late in the day another comes tight this time it is bubba and 1 hour and 20 minutes later we released a 80' 280-300lb fish. Get back to the barn @ 0500 great day on the water and good crew. I have attached a video of the Tuna airing out below. Thanks to the crew of the Big Tahuna for making it a memorable day.

David
Tall Tails
27' Contender

·
Registered
235 Posts
David --

Congrats on some nice fish...that's awesome! Hey quick question for you and the larger group:

We've caught a couple, but broken off our fair share of these big fish as well. Our typical set-up was 80 or 100lb mainline crimped to a spro to 150lb leaders, and all of our break-offs occurred in the mainline. After those experiences, I'm thinking of switching to a more traditional setup for our next trip of tying the mainline to a snap-swivel and then a 20' 200lb leader (which has it's own drawbacks).

Do you mind sharing what your breakoff's occured on? Anything you're thinking of changing? Did you land your fish on the same or different setups as the break-offs?

Thanks for the info and congrats again!

Ed

·
Registered
917 Posts
Sorry to hijack, but I think mainline break-offs are just part of the game. There are a bunch of fish down there and they probably break each other off. Wish I had a camera down that deep to see it! I would be very hesitant to use that long of a leader that wasn't a wind-on. I know some mates are pros at hand-lining big fish but I've never been a fan of it. It seems a lot smarter to use the reel the whole way to the gaff unless you are just trying to "touch the leader" to get a billfish release before you lose it.

A 200lb leader would probably still get bit right now when the fish are feeding. They were voracious when later afternoon hit. I have heard that as the season progresses that they do tend to get more leader shy however.

I don't know if you are just trolling or jigging as well, but my biggest suggestion would be if you are fishing with braid, especially on a spinner- pack it very tight. Use another reel to pack it consistently tight or have it done at a shop. Otherwise, it will dig in and break you off. It is as bad as a tip wrap when your setup is suddenly at a 100lbs of drag (line strength) when it digs. It was all I could do not to lose it overboard.

·
Registered
523 Posts
NIce job on the Bluefins. Some meat in the box, releasing a couple and a few break off is a good day for this fishery. Hope you get out again soon.

I am sure alot of boats will be out today, Friday and Saturday so there should be alot of reports/imformation posted. Most will probably run up to the 400+ area to start which is a bit of a haul out of HI. Gotta go where the fish are though.

Again thanks for the report and congratulations.
Greg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts