Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm leaving Richmond now and should arrive at the high rise by 10:30 AM with some eels. I'll report :bigfish: tonight.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Good Luck man - thats about when we got home this morning ......We stayed just long enough to get 3 fish last night. 42,44 and 45 1/2 .........

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
One big girl!

We ran out to between Kip. and PL and did the eel deal. We drifted from the inside to outside of the channel several times. 2- on the bottom, 2- ½ way down and 2- on top (1 naked and one with a bobber).
Second drift in 65' of water, dead center of the channel and the naked eel on top is headed for Cape Charles. We cleared all the other lines as the fish decided to take the bait with the smallest rod with only about 100 feet of power pro before he is into the mono backing. Well the fish runs all the braid off the reel and stops just as the connection between the braid and mono is between the rod eye and water surface. We are all sitting there looking at each other asking who tied that connection? Turns out the fine gentlemen at Oceans East made a good connection and the skinny 43", 28 pound cow comes over the rail.
Sweat, the stinky mammal is off the boat!
A few more drifts and we decide to hit the High Rise. Same spread and drifting between the pilings we only find 2 sharks. There was a ton of bait in the water but no fish for us. We tried to anchor on the bay side and it was a bad anchor placement and we ended up right next to another boat. I would like to apologize again to that captain! As we were getting ready to pull up and reset I notice the wireline rod jumping all around on the deck. Somehow the wire got out the boat and wrapped around the prop. OH SH*T, not good! Luckily there was no damage and we unwrapped it with the boat hook. After that we headed for Wallace's. Nice day and a cow to take back to Richmond.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
nice come back report mister ~

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
i'd check that seal on the lower end shaft, especially w/a wire wrap. it can be damaged & be hard to see. oh ya, very nice fish!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Good job....must have been a real small real to only have a 100' of PP or wayyyy to much backing. I typically only use 20-30' of backing.

Congrats on a nice fish.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Good report and congrats on some good eats!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone!

Jamie, the way I figure it is if I catch 1 fish for every time you GO fishing then I am doing better than most folks.:D

The reel was packed full of backing. I'm not real sure you can call it backing if there is 100 yards of mono on it. It had more braid on it when the folks at OE filled the reel but, we lost 150 feet of it on a snag the trip before.

The good thing is that we were at 500 rpm when it got wrapped and the wire came unwrapped very easily. What made it very tricky is that my engine is on a 3 foot bracket and when the engine is tilted all the way up the prop is about 5 feet off the transome.:eek2:
I plan on pulling the prop and making a quick visual inspection. I am also going to inspect and change the lower unit lube for my piece of mind. The last thing I want is to destroy my 2009 lower unit in 2008!

By the way, the fish was the boat AND the fishermans personal BEST!:bigfish:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts