Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Made it out around 530pm set up on inbetween the spans towards the eastern bridge. Had boats all over my favorite "hot spot" so moved around for another spot, nothing really fancy on the fishfinder but I figured, lets just fish.

3rd rod in was the floater (25' down with 4oz lead) first fish on in less than 2min, decent 36" in the box (just incase....)

Same rod goes off about 20 min later.......Mike lands his first "big Striper" citation size 45" 33#s in the box it goes. Was glad to finally put Colonel Mike on a big fish, God knows weve tried, but never seemed to pull it off, glad you got a nice one Mike.

Had a weak but steady ebb tide, started getting REALLY busy around our area (some guys just fish where everybody else fished vs actaully LOOKING for fish I guess??, Nothing like having boats set up directly behind your spread on the ocean side while you are anchored on the bay side......(same bridge span too.....we're talking what 50-75yards....whats wrong with these people??!!) One idiot starts to anchor right next to my float in the light line......I guess they really sell any body a boat huh???

Had a long slow period, ended up catching 2 more 43" releases both on freelines up on the top, bottom rods got no action all night.

Im sure it will only get better, seems like most radio chatter was for fish right about the citation size 40-45"s. Mixed bag of guys saying catching on top and on the bottom. Left at 815 when the current all but stopped and the wind picked up outta the west. Good night out, glad to get back after em!!

(BTW, tried the anchor ball trick this time......OMG it works so much better, shoulda been doing that a years ago!!)

See Ya out there!!

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Billy, saw you towing home as I was headed down Shore Dr, that is a nice boat......heard you guys on the radio talking, howd you make out??

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres the scoop on the anchor ball, really made getting that thing back so much easier, espcially in current.

Saw it done on a charter trip in Alaska when the guide had to anchor in 300'+ of water, heard about it, just never done it.

BassProShops sells a "anchor ball kit" on thier website, but they were out of stock so I went to boaters world and pieced it together,

Consists of an Anchor Line Ring, 1 peice of about 5' of 1/2 line a large fender/ball (anchor ball!!) and a strong clip for the line to the ring.

Worked just like they said, pass the ring around the anchor line, hook the clip to the ring, drop the rig overboard, leave the anchor tied off, drive up against the current/anchor line at about a 45degree angle (doesnt have to be exact, atleast not based off of last nights 1st try!!) as you drive up, the ball rig starts heading out away from the boat and eventually gets enough leverage between you driving against it and the ball pulling up that the anchor breaks free, i kept going up alittle further once you could tell it was free to actually pull the anchor and chain up to the ball/ring. That keeps the anchor floating on the surface (or just slightly below) put the boat in neutral, drifted and brought in the line with ease!!! got the the chain and sure enough, theres the anchor floating on the ball. Unclipped it, stowed and went home. TONS easier than just motoring up to the anchor and heaving it up. I'll take a pic of my rig tonight, but I think Im gonna shorten the length of rope to about 3-4'.

Heres the link for BPS, its only about $60, but peicing it togther at Boatersworld cost me about $90, still worth it IMO.

Anchor Lift Ring

Good Luck

·
Registered
336 Posts
Never Believed It

I have read the instructions on the package a couple of times and never believed it. Thanks for the testimony.

Lar

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
A secondary safety feature to this system is the ability to quickly drop your anchor line in an emergency and then retrieve it later; a huge bonus when you're anchored in 300' water with a swift moving current and cold temps.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the report Brad! I've been on the working end of the anchor ball on a couple of occasions and they really make it easy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've used one for years on my boat in Alaska - it has never failed. Just make sure the length of chain attached to the anchor is long enough to hold up the anchor when it is pulled through the ring. JB

·
Registered
118 Posts
I feel so slow...I've read the instructions three times and all these comments and just can't seem to picture how that anchor ball works. Congrats on the fish though!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Brad
You made me cry with that report! I appriciate the offer but the Navy thought it was more important for me to work that night till 1930....

After that first phone call I knew I was missing a good night! I'll get up with you cuase I want to hit it this weekend.

Congrads on puttin Col Mike on his first paper fish:bigfish:, he's as giddy as a school girl! I think we got him hooked now!

I'll give you a shout on the cell.
Wayne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts