Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was able to put a crew together compliments of TF, McCrae and Brandon were earger and ready to fish at 11pm.

Made it out to the highrise only to find no current and a stiff W'ly breeze (reason for no current). Strange to not see hard ANY marks on the rock piles, normally we always see some stuff on the screeen. Drove around to look at other places, NADA.......went back to old faithful and set the anchor as the current just started to overpower the blow. Never really did get a chance to get set up like I would have wanted, ironically enough, for the 10minutes we did get closer to the light line we had to runs and thought it was gonna get good.

Not a great night, not a bad one either........3 fish in the boat, 34, 42 & 44"s
+
2 hard runs and fought only to lose em, and 1 tuff tug that got wrapped on the piling breaking off.

Packed it up at 4am and started the long slow ride home, avg speed was about 15mph, tons of spray and made it back to the base some time around 5. Rough seas out there, 5-6'ers easy. We're still saying a prayer for the 4 guys in the 17' Bayliner with a Force outboard that started heading home around 3, never saw them on our way back in, it was bad on my boat, I could not IMAGEN how thier ride would have been, hope they made it back safe.

McCrae & Brandon, you guys are welcome back on my boat anytime, hope to get on some that Tog action when I get back in town in March. Glad you guys came out, sorry for he rough ride

Brad

·
Registered
183 Posts
WOW....what a night....BTY that was me in the bayliner ,,,it was 3 of us but with all the **** in the boat it probably looked like 5 people...long story short, running light shorted, the ride from CC was pleasent @ 20kts...only to find out once we got to the high rise the wind picks up @ 2am'ish and steadily increases throughout the night...no fish for us, too miserable to stay for any length of time,,,LONG ride back @ 9kts and some serious ocean spray....I'm definately well preserved from all that salt...All the reports I saw said 10kts until late morning then increasing to 20...well I guess the 20-30 came early....that sucked!:eek2::wacko:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
HARD CORE!!! Nice payoff on the effort!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Thanks for the invite, sorry I could not go. Sounds like you caught a few nice fish, congrats and thanks again. R/Chip

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good job Brad and crew. Have you heard from Dave yet? I'll be out there tomorrow night if you have recovered maybe you could give me a shout on 68.

Jon
Rum Runner

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
brn 2surf, glad you guys made it back, it was a tuff bite. Jon, Dave was supposed to go with me last night, but bailed at the last minute, Monday looks doable, but not in my boat, shes put up for the rest of the winter.......3hour cleaning today to knock that salt off from last night, bumpy ride to say the least.

Good luck in the ocean season, maybe one day we'll actaully meet up and fish.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Im looking to go Monday mid day and float eels around Kiptopeke and if nothing happens maybe fish the High Rise at dark. Any tips I need(well I know I need them) but any tips you all can give as to which bridge, old or new, any side of the channel better than the other, depth, etc. All is appreciated. Coming out of Horn Harbor so have a pretty good run back to the dock. If I make it out, will post good or bad news for everyones info.
Ive seen nothing out of my harbor yet so have decided Ive GOT to make the run. Got to get in the action, or at least try.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RIGGNTS, as much as I'd love to be the one with all the info....it aint me!! Best tips I would say is to cover as much of the water column as you can where ever you set up, Ive been floating eels at about 5' intervals just of the bottom up to about 15', then maybe a free line or maybe a 1oz inline. drifted back into the light line.

Ive been getting closer to the pilings lately too, basically putting my stern right where some of the rock piles start to build up off the bottom, dropping a few lines straight down, and then a few cranks off the bottom, all of these rods have been producing fish, but I have yet to find one that is any better than another, for me its just a hit or miss (im sure there is a science to it, but Im not sure yet).

As far as locations......my best trick is to find structure.....ANYTHING is better than a flat bottom I think, just zig zag the pilings and you'll find something out there Im sure.

Oh yeah, 1 more tip......buy an anchor ball.....OMG that thing is worth its weight in gold for heaving up the anchor!!!!

Good Luck!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts