Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a link to historical air temp, precip and water temp stats going back, say, at least 30-years? Ideally, it would be in simple to compare graph format and done over a daily, or at least monthly, basis.

Especially now, we have so much debate over whether challenging rockfishing conditions are more weather or fisheries related. My recollection is that, when looking at some data last year, we found that the water temp at Va Beach, for example, was sometimes very cold during the so-called boom years, which seems to take cold weather out of the equation as the main culprit for poor fishing. But it would be nice to more thoroughly compare.

I apologize if someone already gave me this info....can't seem to locate it now.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14,322 Posts
I think wind has had more to do with it this year. You can fish in the cold but the wind will keep you home. I know it hurt this hunting season too.............Gary

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
'06 had some very warm days. When I fished with Catman down there, it hit 70 degrees during the day. But I also remeber people saying that fishing was better (and colder) prior years. Some of that can probably be chalked up to "goo 'ol days" fisherman talk, but it would be great to see catch logs from someone like Pete and compare to water temp.

No doubt, this December is well below average, temp-wise.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
Not so much weather data, but you can tap into old flow data from streams feeding the Bay. Go to the following site, pick a station like Conowingo on the Susky, then scroll down to the link that says something like "old flow data. Some of it goes back to the mid 1970s. Seems most TFers will agree that flow from the Susky has a significant effect on fishing in the Bay, at least the upper Bay.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/current?type=flow

·
Registered
697 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts