Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ANYONE DOWN THAT WAY LOOKING TO FISH TOMORROW.tHE WEATHER LOOKS GOOD AND I'M THINKING ABOUT MAKING THE TRIP .I HAVE MY BOAT IN CAPE CHARLES AND WOULD BE LAUNCHING FROM KIPTOPEKE RAMPS .Jigging for flounder and maybe looking for some cobia.I'm in Pa. so if your anywhere between Lancaster Pa . and kiptopeke state park give me a holler.Also will be going down on the 25th 26th and 27th of this month.I also have a full week starting on the 8th of august.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Good luck from a fellow Lancaster PA resident. I've been down here fishing since Wednesday and it's been tough to say the least. Not much happening with either the cobia of the flounder. Maybe tomorrow will be the day though :)

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
Fishing a big area like the lower Chesapeake Bay as a distant weekend warrior can sometimes prove to be fruitless. A lot of fishermen rationalize that if they own a boat, ,have fishing gear and years of fishing experience, then why pay to hire a good fishing guide? The reasons are simple.Full time guides are on the water fishing almost every day. The fish move and they know where they moved or are most likely to move to. They are properly equipped to change techniques if required. In many cases, I find it less expensive to go with a good guide. I've made several trips to the lower Chesapeake so far this season for red drum & cobia. I've fished with 3 differen't top notch, local, full time guides that specialize in those species.I haven't had a bad day yet.I've always caught the targeted quarry.On 2 trips, I haven't had to get a motel. All I had to do was step on the boat and go.When we got back,I just stepped off, they cleaned the fish and I was homeward bound. I doubt I would have been able to do that with a 4.5 hr. ride home if I had all the other things to do with my boat there in 1 day. Here is what other guides have caught on the days that were tough conditions on the same days you were there. www.salttreatedfishing.com Enjoy the video then click on "Fishing Reports" from salttreatedfishing

·
Registered
252 Posts
Fishing a big area like the lower Chesapeake Bay as a distant weekend warrior can sometimes prove to be fruitless. A lot of fishermen rationalize that if they own a boat, ,have fishing gear and years of fishing experience, then why pay to hire a good fishing guide? The reasons are simple.Full time guides are on the water fishing almost every day. The fish move and they know where they moved or are most likely to move to. They are properly equipped to change techniques if required. In many cases, I find it less expensive to go with a good guide. I've made several trips to the lower Chesapeake so far this season for red drum & cobia. I've fished with 3 differen't top notch, local, full time guides that specialize in those species.I haven't had a bad day yet.I've always caught the targeted quarry.On 2 trips, I haven't had to get a motel. All I had to do was step on the boat and go.When we got back,I just stepped off, they cleaned the fish and I was homeward bound. I doubt I would have been able to do that with a 4.5 hr. ride home if I had all the other things to do with my boat there in 1 day. Here is what other guides have caught on the days that were tough conditions on the same days you were there. www.salttreatedfishing.com Enjoy the video then click on "Fishing Reports" from salttreatedfishing
Nick,

Rick keeps his boat at my house and we fish together occasionally.

Jim

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yeah, I thought about booking a trip with Zach (I always read his posts) and looking back should have. We heard the chumming bite for cobia was really good so we gave it a shot ourselves. Lesson learned I guess.

Oh well, time to head out and give it another try. Last day here for us...

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found this to be very amusing,thanks for the lecture.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yea its true about fishing guides they are on the water every day..but last year I cancelled a trip down there because when I booked it the Capt was like "n
No problem catching big Red Drum , theyre everywhere" then when I get down there all he talked was "it's fishing" , "cant make um bite" because he was only catching 1 or 2 fish per trip. Then he started talking about how I have too high of expectations and how he didn't think he could live up to my expectations..lol. Are kidding me? How dare I expect to ctch fish on a guided fishing trip. Some guides are worth the money but there are alot out there that are not. Im with mwills98..Ill do it myself

1 - 11 of 11 Posts