Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in seeing some pics of other set-ups for the hobie outback. Just got mine and gonna go bare for a bit until I see what I like.

Specifically:

1. Crate Set-up
2. fishfinder
3. location for front rod holder

Thanks

St. Mary's College of Maryland '11

Adventure Island Kayaking
Ocean City, MD

Rod-N-Reel Tackle Shop
Chesapeake Beach, MD

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
435 Posts
I don't have a photo of mine but I put the transducer for my fishfinder inside the hull just behind the vertical tube for the sail mount.

I pressed it to the inside of the hull with clear silicone (making sure that there are no air bubbles underneath). It reads just fine right through the hull.

I ran the wires up through a small hole (fitted with a strain relief) that I put in the forward bulkhead between the pedals.

I mounted my fishfinder (cheap Humminbird) on a expansion bolt adapter from RAM Mounts (Part ID: RAP-354-75U) that fits into the mast hole for the optional sail.

I bought a cheap waterproof box from Walmart and put an ATV/Motorcycle 12v battery in it (wires through a hole sealed with silicone). I glued some small hard rubber strips near the transducer to keep the battery box from sliding around.

I hope this helps a little...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have a 2008 outback and i attached a ram ball mount for the fish finder right in the tray my the cupholder. For the transducer i used electricians putty and stuck it to the hull right behind the sail post in the front well. I ran the wires up thru the side tray thru a small drill hole which i sealed with a rubber groumet. Works great.
I never bothered with building a crate. I used to think i needed tons of rods for the yak now at most i will take three. I found that i never really fish more then two rods at a time so having more then that just becomes a waste. I normally take two rods that can be used to jig/troll/throw topwater and one ultralight rod for those days when i cant find anything bigger to play want to go bottomfishing. Also everything on the yak gets wet sometime or another so i figure taking extra rods just adds to their wear and tear so why bother.
For the front rod holder i got a ram mount which fits directly in the mast hole and a ram spinning rod holder whioch attaches to the ball mount there. This mount will spin so its only really good for drift fishing. I also have a second ball for it drilled on the opposite side of where my fishfinder ball is. This allows me to set up for trolling but i am considering removing it because the stock rod holders work just fine and the ball in this location can cause me problems when i go crabbing from it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts