Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this in Easton Bay a couple days ago using cut spot while trying for perch. Wasn’t sure if it’s a Hogchoker or flounder because it’s about 10-11 inches long and from what I understand hogchoker doesn’t get that big but I also don’t hear anyone catching flounders in the Bay anymore either. What do you guys think ? BTW the fish was released after the pic.
Water Sky Fluid Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
18 Posts
Definitely a flounder, I caught plenty keepers up to 22" in Eastern Bay and the False Channel 1995 thru 2010. Unfortunately I haven't caught any over 11" since 2010 and it ain't for lack of trying. Think it was 3 years ago there was a load of 10-11"ers, I thought there HAD to be keepers, but I never got any over 11". I have not been this year due to motor trouble. It's my favorite fidh to catch and eat.

·
Registered
15,281 Posts
I really miss the croakers that was around mid bay about 8 years ago , we would catch 30+ At dusk and night time around the bridge and they’re nice size too.
About 20 years ago we started fishing about sundown with Shrimp near Poplar Island and I had double 22" croakers on. Tghat was one hell of a fight Caught! Caught them up to 11:00 and was dodging deer on my way home........Gary

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
995 Posts
The ocean is paved with good sized ones up in NY and NJ...
We used to limit out at the Indian River Inlet back in the mid 90s. There are some absolute monsters there.

Reactions: Vietpimp999

·
Registered
383 Posts
Surprise catch. Trolling for blues off of Kent Island one day with green surgical eels we weren’t catching. Decided to drift cut bait for a while. I had stopped the boat to
Re rig. One tube was still in the water. When my buddy pulled it in it had hooked a 4 lb. flounder.
In 1957 we moved to Rock Creek next to Cottage Grove Beach bear Riviera Beach. While perch fishing by Cottage Grove I caught a 15 inch flounder. This was in the late ‘50’s. Talk about a surprise catch. It was the first flounder I ever caught.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My best catch of flounder was back in the late 80s right at the mouth of the Magothy. An 18' and 22" on a bucktail jigs with in 10 minutes of each other. Surprised the heck out of me. As they say, "Those were the days"

1 - 20 of 57 Posts