Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Part 1

I got this idea one a day just after it had rained when I was driving through a heavily wooded area on my 4 wheeler. I couldn't help but notice the strong smell of... well, dirt. So here's what I've done which so far has proven very successful.

First I found a couple mason jars. I filled them about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way full with dirt that I scooped up from the ground at my tree stand. Then I walked down to the river (I hunt on the Shenandoah River) and filled the jars the rest of the way with the water.

I let them sit for a week on my porch. Each day when I would leave for work as well as when I got home from work I would shake them up quite a bit.

After a week, I opened one of the jars and took a sniff. The result : Dirt smelling water. So away to Walmart I went and got myself a spritzer bottle. I took another mason jar and with the help of a rubber band secured a coffee filter to the top and poured the water from my two dirt/water jars into it. Possibly something like a mesh dish strainer would've worked better.

And there ya go!

I feel that it is important to get the dirt and the water from areas near where you're hunting. The water probably isn't as important, but I hunt near a river, so why the hell not? Now the cover scent that I use smells like the woods that I hunt. I have had quite a few deer so far this year walk dead down wind of me without picking up my scent.

Part 2
This is very simple. I got this idea from another guy that I hunt with who's been doing this for years with a lot of success.

Get a rather large plastic container (Rubbermade or whatever) and fill it about halfway with leaves from the ground of the woods you hunt. Leave them in there for a few weeks by themselves. Now, after the couple weeks is up, pop the lid and throw all of your hunting clothes in there. I put everything that I used for hunting in mine with the exception of my bow/gun and base layer of clothes. I don't remove my or put my hunting clothes on until I'm going into the woods and I take them off and return them to the box as soon as I get out. After a couple weeks you'll notice that your hunting clothes will begin to smell just like the leaves - which are the same as the ones that are found in your woods.

For extra non-smelliness, take the cover scent that you just made from above and spray the inside of the box when you first get it.

Now, someone has told me that they've heard these ideas before. That's fine. I'm not trying to take credit for being the one to stick the flag in the homemade cover scent's moon. I'm just trying to pass along a tip.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Another easy cover scent is cedar oil. Just a few drops on your hands , rub your legs , arms ect. and your good to go. If you don't have any cedar oil, just break a few pine or cedar branches and rub them on you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts