Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 11 AM this morning my next door neighbor comes banging at the door in a panic. Seems her son's 4-H project, 1100 lb. steer got loose and is in my bottom pasture. Now this crittter has an attitude. He's chased them out of the paddock several times and this morning he butted the front of her Toyota Tundra while she was trying to corner him, cracking the grill in the process.
So she wants me to know the beast is on my property and if I see it to please put it down. I promise to comply and off she goes in search of the wayward bovine. About a half an hour later I looked out the living room window and there he is just inside our woodline chomping on some multi-flora rose. Uh-Oh what to do, she did say drop it and there he is only 100 yards away. Ok I'll drop it.
Problem, which gun to use on an 1100 lb critter, never shot a steer before, better go for the 300 Wby. But damn all the good guns are in the safe which is a pain to open quickly. I walk over to my pre-safe gun cabinet where I keep all the decoy pcs. and took a look at my choices. Hmmmm, 12 Ga. slug gun, maybe, 22-250 no way, 10/22 for an in-the-ear shot, no too risky, Marlin 336 in 35 Remington, perfect. Now I go for ammo. I've got 150's and 200’s; better take the 200's.
So I stoke it up with a full magazine of 200's, never know he might charge, and put 2 more in my pocket for good measure. I head out the front of the house directly toward him with 1 in the chamber and my thumb on the hammer. He doesn’t seem to pay me much attention as I get to within 10 yards. Too much brush for a heart shot so I dare to walk in front of him. At this point I'm shaking like I'm staring down a Cape Buffalo. I center the sights between his eyes and squeeze one off reloading quickly. Well the old 35 dropped him in his tracks like a bus hit him, not a twitch.
My neighbor’s husband came over with his undamaged Tundra and drug him out of the woods onto my front lawn. They got him onto a tarp and have spent the last 6 hours butchering him on the ground. I'm looking forward to a big chunk of beef back strap for my services.
Honest and truly this really happened.

Mark

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
809 Posts
Sounds better than my deer season!:cowboy: :2guns:

·
Registered
861 Posts
I just can't believe they were so ready to "tank" the kid's 4-H project. Must have really had a mean streak!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Bad Steer

They always referred to him as the "Bad" steer. In fact, they had some concerns about their son working with him. He was do to go to the butcher next week and the boy was glad that he was going.
Don't know much about cattle but there are horses that are this way. My wife had a grey quarter horse that was usually OK, but would turn mean in an instant. She was in the stall one evening tacking him up when he tried to bite her. He missed her but got her shirt and ripped it off as she was headed out the door.
We didn't shoot him, he brought $10,000 at auction.
Mark

·
Registered
861 Posts
Did you get pictures as she was running out the door shirtless? Good blackmail stuff for later when you need it. That's one of the things I was thinking about (the auction), quite often 4-H steers, etc. sell for pretty good money.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thats a great story! I was laughing my [email protected]# off reading it. It was his time. Those steaks should be great... head shot and he did'nt know it was coming..... no adrenaline. Good shot and great story! Those big steer are definitely intimidating.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Big Game Hunts

Think I might start running guided big game steer hunts here on my 20 acre pc. of heaven in northern Baltimore County. We can offer room and board, your choice of steer color, butchering and packing, trout fishing and as an added bonus free stall mucking lessons. This would be great for out of state hunters as no licence would be required. This of course would be a 7 to 10 day fair chase hunt.
Whatcha think?

·
Registered
52 Posts
i have the same gun and it is so sweet! with 200gr it should be able to down anything in north america short of grizzly or brown bear. with proper shot placement.:thumbup: ;-)

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
exciting story, i know that there was brush in the way but i would have used a bow and arrow . Thats pretty intense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts