Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the law on hooks during the Spring Trophy season. I thought it was only two hooks per bait maximum. Also fishing before season I thought you had to use barbless hooks. I hear of people using treble hooks, which I think should be outlawed in Stripper fishing. The trebble hook comment is only my opinion but I would like to know about my other questions. May the Stripers live on.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Maryland has the Pre-season catch and release regulations - I cannot find any such regulations for Virginia. Maryland also has the 2 hook per line limit - again, I cannot find any such regulation for Virginia. Nevertheless, I agree with you, both about barbless hooks, and also using treble hooks for C&R.

Most of us have learned through experience. Sight casting for large bluefish with a treble hook was mine - difficult to get that lure back from a 10 lb bluefish. QUickly learned that single hooks are just as effective, and easier to remove. Mash the barb, and it became simple. That's the whole idea about the MD regulations - easy to release the fish without ever removing the fish from the water. The larger hooks often hold better than the treble hooks.

Not everyone is equally skilled at re-rigging their baits - not sure how I'd re-rig a stretch 25 - if someone has an illustration of how that's done, it would help educate us all.

I fish a 19' CC - with 7-9 lines in the water, there isn't room for a net, and that has worked great for me. Either we release them in the water, lip them, or use a BOGA grip to remove a fish from the water. Too hard to use a net when I'm by myself in any event. Again, my first trip out, the net was on board, but a 39" fish convinced me it wasn't going in my net. Once I gained the confidence to do without it, I leave it on shore - helps keep the deck clear.

Good Luck out there this season - hopefully better luck than last fall in any event!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.