Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Saturday I went back to Hoopers Island to fish the upper bridge. I had done really well on the lower bridge a few weeks ago, so I wanted to try the upper one to see what it was like. It's a smaller bridge, so there were less bridge pilings to fish. There were some very deep holes there though and the current really poured through the narrows between the Honga River and the Chesapeake Bay. The tide was going out when I put in. I certainly marked plenty of fish.

I fished the pilings first and caught one of the big fish of the day on my first cast - a very fat 23" striper. I pulled a few others off the first piling and then moved on to the others. The fishing just wasn't on, but it was somewhat steady. The action eventually died down so I decided to give the bridge pilings a rest and try the shorelines and drop offs of the channel.

I paddled out of the narrows and considered crossing to Barren Island but the wind blowing against an ebbing tide made for some choppy water. I worked the water against the old barge on the north beach and some pilings and riprap on the southern shoreline, but still nada. I did pull a nice fish off of a marker buoy in the open water. I know that it's fall and that the shallow water fishing is supposed to be great, but it seems like all the places I catch fish are in somewhat deeper water. I'm not complaining.

With the action slowing down I decided to head back in to give the bridge another shot. I caught a few more stripers - finally a pretty nice 17" on my fly rod - and decided to pack up for the lower bridge.

It was around 3pm then and the sun was just starting to set when I got there. The wind was also picking up and my fish finder was full of fish. I started catching fish immediately - the same grade of striped bass from 2 weeks ago - fat fish from 17"-23" - with 2 pushing 24". I caught most on 5" Bass Assassins with a 1/8 oz jig head. The fish really weren't all that deep and they were not afraid to chase lures well off the pilings. I hooked and missed a few when they hit close to the boat.

This was the best trip of the year so far, and the best on the bay in a long time. Just lots of good fish on light tackle. The fishing was so good that I thought about fishing again on Sunday but just didn't need to - I was ok with all the fish I had caught and didn't need any more.

My only disappointment was that I didn't get any of the larger fish on flies. I will probably need to anchor and swing flies through productive zones - either above the pilings or immediately below. I have yet to anchor at the lower bridge because the current is so strong and the waves have been so crazy. Maybe next time I can set up earlier before the tide really starts running and hopefully the wind won't be as strong. I also regret not taking any pictures.

Full report on small water

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Thanks for the report. Sounds like a really nice day on the water. I need to check out the Rt. 4 bridge near Solomons. All these bridge reports have got me wondering.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bridge fishing this time of year can be a blast. i keep meaning to hit kent narrows but haven't yet. might try on thursday night/friday morning.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I've fished the lower (bigger) Honga bridge a couple of time from big boats. Always did at least fair. Been meaning to give it a try from my canoe. Theres 2 ideal launch spots there. The current can be really fast at times, couple of casts and you're outta range. I'd think with a trolling motor I could hold position longer than I would just drifting thru. I've never kayaked but I'd think a peddle kayak would be in it's element there... hold position and fish at the same time... maybe next year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, the current is very strong there. and you really only get a few casts before you have to paddle back. the nice thing is how close you can get to the structure. at times, it's almost like bass fishing where i am pitching BAs right onto the pilings and vertical jigging. one of the hobies would be great there to keep your hands free to fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts