Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped a few hints to the wife about a new fishfinder for the boat. I have a 2006
Sailfish 2660. I presently have a garmin plotter/finder, not sure of the model# (630 or 680
Trying to stay in the price of $300 to $500 due to the $ crunch. I like to have a color screen, with a true veiw of fish from bait and a good view of the bottom.Pleasehelp X-mas is just a moment away. Any and all suggestions will be appeciated.

:helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
I don't know if you can get a quaility color machine in that price range? I have a Furuno 1650 combo plotter/sounder. I love it, you can run it in either mobe or split screen. It does an awesome job as a sounder/fishfinder. Also nice to have a back-up gps on board. Good luck and Happy Holidays, Ken

·
Registered
589 Posts
just bought a raymarine a065 chartplotter/fishfinder for the boat cascade gps.com I have two color fishfinders but for the price640.00 with a 200.00 rebate I could not pass. all I am using mine for is the gps but the fishfinder is there if one goes out,

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
i have a ray c-80, and a humminbird 997 side scan. they are both good units, the side scan has a camera type look and it shoots out up to 200' on each side. boaters world has a ray a-65 on sale (last day is today) for $450.

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
furuno... I hesitated to spend the extra money too... but I would do it again in a second.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Furuno 667 is a good unit. Only a little over your budget but a good solid fish finder.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Furuno for sure.......I have Raymarine A65 combo unit I use for GPS and backup FF....but like the Furuno the best...

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
The FCV 585 will run you @ $2,000 with a transducer worthy of the unit. The FCV 620 with a B60 transducer would be a little closer to your budget @ $1,000.

As Skip noted you may be able to find a discontinued model in good shape. I picked up a factory rebuilt FCV 582L for $550 2 years ago. I added a B60 transducer for another $200 and now I now have a rock solid finder onboard for under $800.

Having said that, the digital technology of the FCV 620 outperforms the FCV 582L and would only cost a couple of hundred dollars more.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Might want to wait and look at Lowrances Broadband sounders that will be releases soon. Really impressive technology, basically instead of being set at one frequency, it can cover a range of frequencies simultaniously. At least thats how it was explained to me. They are getting amazing performance out of transom mount transducers. Do some research.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Very happy with my furuno fcv 620 + transom mounted transducer. It cost me well under a grand a year ago here: Furuno FCV620 5.6 in. Fish Finder

If I had it to do over again, I'd call BOE marine in annapolis and ask about a price match and get it from them.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
CERTAINLY A PLACE NOT TO SKIMP,,I would scrounge a few hundred more and make sure you get a High quality Unit that will keep that Beautiful boat of the rocks and off the docks...

There are so many out there , different brands but As A Long time Lowrance owner ( currently HD26c ) I love them... If You look at Boaters world, west marine they tend to push 2008 models out the door lfor the new 2009 like a car salesman ... My Friend got a HD111c 10 1/2 screen 2 years ago for the price I got My HD26c 7 ' screen for in December ..
built in maps on internal Hard drive ... Now I think its a HD 113c ,HD28c ... Some people Love them some people hate them ...

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I was hoping for the Lowrance 522C. It was just on sale at Bass Pro for 499.
This is a good, solid unit. Got mine last Spring. Some people knock the GPS accuracy of Lowrance but I've not had a problem with it. Any GPS+WAAS unit should be hyper accurate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Furuno FCV585 is unbelievable, used one for two years now, best f/f I have ever seen for bay. It is more than you are looking to spend but the FCV620 might be closer to that price just smaller but about same in every other respect. Capt. Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts