Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just retired and moved to Annapolis and fishing is on my agenda. I'm not particularly experienced so some shorthand terminology may get lost on me. I've done fly fishing but very little bait or lure casting other than a striper and smallmouth bass trip to Maine. I have a nice medium casting rod and reel.

Sandy Point Park is just five miles away so thought I might start there, but I hear there are other places near the Naval Academy. As we head into October and November, what do you suggest? What kind of rigging would be best? Is there a good bait/tackle shop nearby?

Thanks for any early help.

(No, I don't have a boat!)

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Go to Anglers sports shop on rte. 50 towards the Bay Bridge .They know where everything is biting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the same boat (er, non-boat) as you. I grew up fishing in the Bay but had grown away from it for a period, until I got the itch to go back out there recently. I bought some cheap gear from Amazon as my "starter" gear as I get back into it, went out to Sandy Point last Thursday night (9/23) to cast out from the beach, and hooked this keeper at about 11:30pm:

Road surface Asphalt Fish Fin Space

This is a 25" striped bass (a.k.a. striper or rockfish). I was getting nibbles all night but couldn't hook one until about 2 hours into my night. We're entering prime striper season, so now is the time to go! Here is what I used:
  • Rod: 11' surf rod (Amazon link here)
  • Reel: 5000 size spinning reel (Amazon link here)
  • Rig: simple hi-lo rig (Amazon link here)
  • Line: 20 lb. mono
  • Sinker: 4 oz pyramid
  • Hook: size 7/0 inline circle hook, like this
  • Bait: chunks of blue crab that I picked up at a nearby H Mart, but from what I understand this is unconventional. Your better bait is peeler crab, but I hear it is more expensive and harder to find. I also tried shrimp and chunks of spot fish, but they weren't very fresh so not effective.
I am far from an expert, but this just happened to work for me. And maybe I just got lucky! I'd be interested to see what other folks contribute to this thread so I can pick up tips as well.

Also, make sure you read up on all the rules before going out! They can be very specific around size and daily limits, even time of day and allowed hook types for stripers. Read here and here.

As for Sandy Point, the park closes around 7pm, but fishing is allowed 24/7. If you arrive after closure, there is a machine that opens the gate with a $3 payment via cash or credit card. Here is where I parked and fished:

Map Line Font Parallel Atlas

A good bait and tackle shop is Anglers, just a few miles from Sandy Point. You'll find everything you need there, and they are the experts. Good luck and happy fishing!

·
Premium Member
26,257 Posts
Welcome. Sadly , public water access in AA county sucks. There is the Jonas Green fishing pier - next to Rt. 450 bridge. The pier is actually a part of old bridge.

The best shore fishing is summer and fall - once waters get chilly , most fish move to deeper waters.

Most fishermen will use two rods - one with large bait and one with small. Casting lures can work but fresh bait seems better. Bloodworms are good and if you catch Spot ( very likely ) - that can be used as live or cut bait.

Be sure to know the regulations / species Spot have no size limit but Croaker need to be 9 inches. They look similar to new anglers.

If fishing at night - Striped bass is closed from midnight to 5 am.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in the same boat (er, non-boat) as you. I grew up fishing in the Bay but had grown away from it for a period, until I got the itch to go back out there recently. I bought some cheap gear from Amazon as my "starter" gear as I get back into it, went out to Sandy Point last Thursday night (9/23) to cast out from the beach, and hooked this keeper at about 11:30pm:

View attachment 279993

This is a 25" striped bass (a.k.a. striper or rockfish). I was getting nibbles all night but couldn't hook one until about 2 hours into my night. We're entering prime striper season, so now is the time to go! Here is what I used:
  • Rod: 11' surf rod (Amazon link here)
  • Reel: 5000 size spinning reel (Amazon link here)
  • Rig: simple hi-lo rig (Amazon link here)
  • Line: 20 lb. mono
  • Sinker: 4 oz pyramid
  • Hook: size 7/0 inline circle hook, like this
  • Bait: chunks of blue crab that I picked up at a nearby H Mart, but from what I understand this is unconventional. Your better bait is peeler crab, but I hear it is more expensive and harder to find. I also tried shrimp and chunks of spot fish, but they weren't very fresh so not effective.
I am far from an expert, but this just happened to work for me. And maybe I just got lucky! I'd be interested to see what other folks contribute to this thread so I can pick up tips as well.

Also, make sure you read up on all the rules before going out! They can be very specific around size and daily limits, even time of day and allowed hook types for stripers. Read here and here.

As for Sandy Point, the park closes around 7pm, but fishing is allowed 24/7. If you arrive after closure, there is a machine that opens the gate with a $3 payment via cash or credit card. Here is where I parked and fished:

View attachment 279994

A good bait and tackle shop is Anglers, just a few miles from Sandy Point. You'll find everything you need there, and they are the experts. Good luck and happy fishing!
Sorry I'm late in responding but I did not have emails alerts selected for this site. Thank you for such a thorough response. VERY helpful.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey this is a good report. I often wondered if the Sandy Point Park offered a reasonable bank fishing opportunity. Especially when I see bank anglers standing on the jetty at the boat launch entrance. Thank you.
ACG
n

1 - 6 of 6 Posts