Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of all the concern being given to the big Trout being caught from the Elizabeth/Hot ditch area over the years has there been much tagging being done and what is known about them ?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I tag all size Specks in the Elizabeth River. Around 1300 last year. I get information back on those that are recaptured. The average recapture rate on Specks is very low (around 2.5%). I can tell you that many recaptures are in the ER itself within a month or so of the original tagging. This is particularly true of fish in the Hot Ditch itself. I have had returns from fish in the Honga river in Maryland and a trend that notionally indicates (based on a very small sample size) that some of the fish move to the Mobjack Bay, York and Severn River in May. Does that give you the info you are looking for? I have also had one return on a citation size fish that came back to the river a year later. Tight Lines, Sheldon

·
Registered
231 Posts
Specks migration

The Specks travel alot more than you would think. I cant speak for the Hot Ditch area being that is a unique area, however we tagged several 12-13 inch speckled trout in the Northern Neck area in early October and a week later one was caught just north of Hatteras, NC

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I tagged a few hundred back when I used to fish in there. Like the above poster most of my returns were from fish still in the area within a couple months time. I did have a few returns from the HRBT and Poqouson Flats.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so the fish do move out of there or people stop fishing for them and go on to other species in the spring.
Why are there so many big fish in that area? Do they stay in the elizabeth and spread out when the water warms in the spring but mostly dont leave? Are there that many big fish in other areas and they dont get caught for some reason?

·
Registered
782 Posts
back when I was a tagger I had a reports of fish, drum and trout that went as far south as atlantic beach in a week or so....But I think they just have so much structure up and down the intercoastal they just spread out and follow whatever their eating and there's plenty of crabs and bait up in the branches of the river to hold them.
I haven't fished the Elizabeth river as much as I used to but Im sure you can catch alot more with some peelers in the early summer until alot of mullet show up....

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
OK so the fish do move out of there or people stop fishing for them and go on to other species in the spring.
Why are there so many big fish in that area? Do they stay in the elizabeth and spread out when the water warms in the spring but mostly dont leave? Are there that many big fish in other areas and they dont get caught for some reason?
That's the million dollar ? Why is it that so many BIG fish stay there ? I'd love to know more ? Thx. for asking .....

·
Registered
456 Posts
Just a thought? maybe these big fish are senior citizens in fish years, they found themselves a nice place to retire, hang out, warm water is always close by, a buffet of shad and mullet, they just dont have the energy they once did or just lazy in their old age

1 - 8 of 8 Posts