Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my schedule has finally given me the opportunity to go and I will be heading to the ditch wednesday. We plan on fishing mostly live bait, but my question if anybody is willing to share what artificials have been working best.
Thanks in advance
Ben

·
Registered
99 Posts
Honestly, you are going to have a pretty hard time getting an honest answer on that one. The traditional baits that have always worked there continue to do so. Have you ever noticed that bit of info is always missing from the Hot Ditch posts? I am not being rude, just honest here. I hope you tear 'em up! Good fishing to ya! May see ya there!

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I never understood all the secrecy either. I can understand Virginia tarpon anglers....I mean when they catch a Virginia tarpon, they actually have something to brag about so I can understand the secrecy. But fishing in a warm bath of tar goo....seriously....why all the secrecy? That water is soooo polluted, it should be C&R anyways....I would not eat fish coming from that goo. I've heard folks tell me...but they migrate in and out of their....ya but you still pull them from a goo pit. :D

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Screamin drag im with ya on the secrecy thing. I guess its ahold over from when the ditch was still a secret before it was in a fishin show.
Mike amen to that, the only time I would ever keep a fish out of there is if he made weight citation, and then hed end up being dinner for the bait pens.
I hope i tear them up too. I only get one trip to the ditch each year, and from all the scratches coming out, I mean shoot Beth and Kevin both have 2 a piece in what a week and a half, I hope im going at the right time. And wednesday is looking beautiful a light wind no more than 10, not too cold lower 40's.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Was there last Thursday for the first time in my kayak. Good place for kayaks. Most kayakers are secrete because they are afraid of an influx of boaters of which I was one a couple of years ago.Some do not have any respect for kayakers or boats smaller than they have.
Thursday there were many boaters there and all were respectful and courteous.In fact I was the one that almost caused me to get tangled with one boaters lines when I had a redfish give me a ride around a guy float fishing he had to reel in one of his lines.I paddled back and apologized.Oh yeah he was caching many trout.
And yes I was using a chartreuse Saltwater Assassin.Some used electric chicken gulps and I saw some with what looked like mirro lures.
Good Luck Wed.!

Also a couple of kayakers fly fishing were catching two to every one I caught.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Screamin drag im with ya on the secrecy thing. I guess its ahold over from when the ditch was still a secret before it was in a fishin show.
Mike amen to that, the only time I would ever keep a fish out of there is if he made weight citation, and then hed end up being dinner for the bait pens.
I hope i tear them up too. I only get one trip to the ditch each year, and from all the scratches coming out, I mean shoot Beth and Kevin both have 2 a piece in what a week and a half, I hope im going at the right time. And wednesday is looking beautiful a light wind no more than 10, not too cold lower 40's.
You do not have to keep or kill the fish to get a citation. So if your plan is to feed it to something in your bait pen... just let it go and have your PAL go with you and fill out the paperwork for a 24 inch or larger release. You can do that at OE2. If you want to improve your odds on catching a citation, book a charter. As far as lures, I recommend umbrella rigs and mojos wtfb...Use Sebile lures and reel them in as fast as you can. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You do not have to keep or kill the fish to get a citation. So if your plan is to feed it to something in your bait pen... just let it go and have your PAL go with you and fill out the paperwork for a 24 inch or larger release. You can do that at OE2. If you want to improve your odds on catching a citation, book a charter. As far as lures, I recommend umbrella rigs and mojos wtfb...Use Sebile lures and reel them in as fast as you can. Good luck to you.
Ditto.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah ive got an extra comin with me now so no need to keep em for weight. Anything that makes weight will make a release for me. Id just like to catch some fish. Bringing somethin odd 3 dozen gudgeons with us, and the few mullet we have left that survived the deep freeze. Hopefully we can make it happen.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
All I would add to this is " I hope one day that the PROS ask a question and get nothing but BS answers!" This fishery is not a proprietary entity and is open to all not just the holy felt few that think they own it. The guy asked an honest question and if you do not want to help then shut your trap until there is something worthwile coming out of it.I for one am about tired of the sarcasm that goes along with every post on the"HOLY DITCH",give it a break and try to think about not to long ago when you were learning.Sorry to all who posted legit talk.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well I'm surely no pro so I can give up my top secret baits. Gulp Alive swimming minnow 3" chartreuse 1/4oz lead head, Gulp Alive shrimp, Bass Assassin and storm baits but beware these will only catch 13.5" trout!!! No one will tell me what will catch the 20" fish:nono:.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am just going to wish you all the best of luck and that is it. It appears some people may be getting a little upset or letting their feelings get involved here. I am not sure if being so sensitive enables you to land more trout but it could be worth a try. There are plenty of big fish caught by fishermen that do not book charters, however it would increase your odds if seeking a large fish. There is NO substitute for time spent on the water and several of the charters running do a great job! Good luck to all of you, I will be there away from everybody!!! Tight lines!!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fishtales I know the feeling. For probably 3 weeks at the start of the season thats all we caught on the gulp, and I mean hundreds of fish. But were busting out the big live bait tomorrow. Ive got some nice 5-6in mullet. Id like to see a 13.5in trout eat that.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Some prize a nice speck more than a Tarpon. I do. Maybe that's why people don't share trout info, some folks don't apprciate said spec! Do the work. Watching TV will give you all the info you need, good luck. I did not see that episode. What channel was that on? Jim, why are you giving our secrets away man!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ive noticed the same secrecy, but there are also alot of people willing to help you out. This is my first year fishing the hot ditch, but weve been doing pretty good on chartreuse shads and gulp shrimp. But, my secret bait is those beetle spins, last time out we caught a 24 and a 20 on them. Im looking forward to trying a larger spinner worked slowly and see how that works. I think night fishing is overlooked too, we rig up a shad with a glowstick shoved inside it (one of the ones used to put on your rod for nightfishing) and hooked up to a few keepers that way.

of course the effective and easy way is rig up some live bait and crack open a beer.

good luck and hope to see you out there!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts