Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dolphins in the Chester River. About 40 of them. We were in about 5 feet of water. It was great watching them swim so close to the boat.

Did anyone else see them? They were between Long Point and Winchester Creek yesterday around 4. First time I have seen so many at one time and in the Lower Chester.

I got a little bit of video on my phone. Sorry no pictures.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Two weeks ago I saw about that many as far up as the mouth of the Corsica. Last week I saw just a few in the same place, just outside the Corsica. They appeared to be feeding - rolling around, changing direction and so on. Really surprising to me.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
I think this is good news for the Bay. They wouldn't be here if the food wasn't available. The question is, what are they eating? It would be nice if DNR, U. Md. or the National Aquarium conducted a study on Chesapeake 'fins. I know one biologists who speculates that it could be either more menhaden (resulting from fewer striped bass to prey on them), or more Spanish macs in the Bay, or some combination. Since the dolphins arrive in the spring, I'm thinking it's not the Spanish macs that attract them and more likely menhaden.

·
Registered
15,231 Posts
I think this is good news for the Bay. They wouldn't be here if the food wasn't available. The question is, what are they eating? It would be nice if DNR, U. Md. or the National Aquarium conducted a study on Chesapeake 'fins. I know one biologists who speculates that it could be either more menhaden (resulting from fewer striped bass to prey on them), or more Spanish macs in the Bay, or some combination. Since the dolphins arrive in the spring, I'm thinking it's not the Spanish macs that attract them and more likely menhaden.
It's hard to determine what they eat because you can't catch one to examine their stomach contents. I heard they prefer smaller soft fish........Gary

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
When I was stationed in North Carolina I would feed them mullet. I swam a lot along the coast and they would swim all around me to get their goodies.

Reactions: goose70

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
We had a lot of Dolphin shows at the Venice South Jetty where my fishing friends and I hung out. I remember the day this lady photographer got this great picture at the jetty. She was really happy. Her picture made it on quite a few magazines.
Water Liquid Fluid Fin Fish

·
Registered
12,039 Posts
What does every body want fish to eat exclusivley? Anything that people don't? It's always been like this,hasn't it? The difference now is that there are more people and less fish and the people are eating all the fish and complaining the the fish are eating all the other fisf. We need less peope again to balance it out.Not more people eating what's left of the fish and nothing for them to eat.Fish aren'the problem,people are

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
They are an extraordinary species. Based on US Navy and other scientific research, they can differentiate between a golf ball size object made of different materials, stainless steel vs brass, that is buried under the sediment a foot deep from a hundred yards away. They can tell if a human is facing toward them or away based on sonar sensing. Teams of divers and bottlenose have cleared mined harbors effeciently that allowed safe access to U.S. vessels.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
They are an extraordinary species. Based on US Navy and other scientific research, they can differentiate between a golf ball size object made of different materials, stainless steel vs brass, that is buried under the sediment a foot deep from a hundred yards away. They can tell if a human is facing toward them or away based on sonar sensing. Teams of divers and bottlenose have cleared mined harbors effeciently that allowed safe access to U.S. vessels.

Yea, I like em too.
Enjoy what we have to offer ya, and thanks

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
839 Posts
I know they would wait for me at Coquina beach every day. One day they broke away from me, never did see what they were up to, but a day later a 10' Tiger shark washed up on the beach beat all to hell with it's abdomen ripped open.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts