Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I winterized my 350 Mercruiser, but last weekend I ran it and now I am out of town and temps are hovering around freezing. I had my wife put a small heater in the engine compartment, but will the outdrive be alright and how cold does it have to get to do any damage to my motor. It is full of fresh water

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
It does make a difference if your boat is in the water in a slip or on a trailer.

If it is in the water you are safer when it gets cold, but it really needs to get a lot colder than just hovering around 32 degrees to be a problem and damage your engine IMHO.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I drained my block, lowered the drive unit, and was told to put a light bulb in there. Hopefully mine will be alright. Is a 75w light bulb enough?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Careful With The Lightbulb

Draining the block and lowering the outdive should be good enough. Be careful with the lightbulb, more than one boat has caught fire because of this. IMHO it's not going to be cold enough, long enough to cause a problem.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
You need a few days with the temp below 32* to do any damage. I think you'll be just fine.

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
The guys gave good advise....lower the motor all the way down......

·
Registered
163 Posts
Your boat will be fine.
Just because the temp goes down to 32 degrees for a few hours in the middle of the night will not be enough to cause your block to freeze. Freezing temps have to remain steady for at least a day or two before any damage would occur.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
I drained my block, lowered the drive unit, and was told to put a light bulb in there. Hopefully mine will be alright. Is a 75w light bulb enough?
I use 100 watt light bulbs on my bilge pumps all winter and they do not freeze. Boat stays in the water.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has to be a hard freeze. you will be alright. Sure hope mother nature stops messing around with us before the season opens up. Don't mine the cold but the wind is a killer.:boat:

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Trolling Class

Capt. Nemo,
Almost time to try out the schooling you gave me on trolling for the Trophyies again:clap: I will let you know how i do!

Johnny O.

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Johnny O; Sounds good, I almost gave you a call the other day, I wanted to get out for some C/R, but I ended up not going. I am moving the boat to deale this spring and I will be down there from the last week in April until they stop biting, your welcome to join me any day.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Hot thoughts.....

You're not alone in worrying about the boat freezing up.. I've been in the water for three weeks now and was in during that cold snap a couple of weeks ago.. Definitely have a bilge heater in the future for my Merc I/O. If the water in the holding tanks is moving I'm good, but I usually go over the engine with a IR thermometer if I'm concerned..

Sooner you're in the water, the better is my take

1 - 15 of 15 Posts